Monday, March 9, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for March 9th to March 11th

Hello Dear Readers

I want to ask one thing. Why do not more bands incorporate french horn? Last night I saw Matt Sheehy play with his new band The Menders for the first time. It sounded great. A lot in part of the addition of Jen who plays french horn in everything from indie-bands to the Vancouver Opera. Thats Range!. That is not to take away from the rest of the band which in cluded Ryan Doliver, Pia (of Loch Lomond), Justin Power, Michael (3 Leg Torso) Dan, Anyway, I thought they were great. Plus as part of the encore they pulled up Ritchie Young (of Loch Lomond) on stage for a very fun if not perfect version Tears for Fears "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" (Brent knoff of Menomena also played piano on the cover song).

Monday, March 9th

Okay, So I have not been able to listen to many of the bands this week. So I will bfreifly justify my listing of every show.

Aladdin is having a show with M. Ward, Tu Fawning, and Blue Giant. This show as of when I am writing this is not sold out. I thought was but it might not be. I think M. Ward is just a phenomenal musicican and songwriter. He always assembles a top notch band and is fun to see live. This show appeals to me more as a Portlander because all the acts are from right here. Tu Fawning is the joint effort of Corrina Repp, Joe Haege (The Decemberists and that dude formerly of Swords. I have never seen them before, but would love to tonight. The show is $20 and starts at 8 PM.

    Valentine's is having a show with TacocaT, Forever and Nucular Aminals. I list this cause Valentine's is pretty rad, and the name TacocaT is even radder. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

    Backspace is having a show with These Are Powers, Guidance Counselor, and Fuck You Safari. Guidance Counselor makes me dance. I like to dance sometimes. The ALL AGES show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

    The Know is having a show with The Friendly Skies and CJ Boyd. The show is

    Tuesday, March 10th

    Same deal as above. Short and sweet justifications.

    Valentine's is having a show with Evolutionary Jass Band, Kusikia and Palo Verde. Evolutionary Jass Band Rules it. Justified! This show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

    The Know is having a show with Les Flaneurs and Pigeons. Les Flaneurs is part of that Leonard Mynx/Audie Darling etc... circle of really good musicians that play in eachother's bands. This show might be FREE? I think it starts at 8 PM.

    Wednesday, March 11th

    Justifying is easy. See.

    Holocene is having an amazing show with Phosphorescent, Nurses and The Battle of Land & Sea. Nurses is one of the best bands in Portland right now. The Battle of Land and Sea's music is so pretty and they hardly ever play. The show is $8. The doors are at 8:30 and the music starts at 9 PM.

    Slabtown is having a show with Elder Mason, and Bear Hat. I have heard good things about Curious Hands. I am, dare I say, curious about them? The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.


    So if you see me at these shows. Give me a "Hi" and I will give you a "What Up?".

    -Ben


    This Jass band plays Valentine's on Tuesday. It will be "Jassy".

    No comments: