Monday, December 8, 2008

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for December 8th-11th

Hello Dear Readers,

It was a great weekend for shows last weekend. I had a super fun time at both the shows I played. There was a faux-Barmitzva down the hall from the Lewis and Clark show I played with New Century School Books and Blue Skies for Black Hearts. Just ask Amber Dawn (of both NCSB and CIMTB). We danced to "YMCA" and had free pizza and everything. We also had a discussion of m&m's vs skittles as a cupcake topping (m&m's won, duh). Here is what is going this week.

Monday, December 8th

I could only find two shows, but they booth look so good.

  • The Coop is having a show with The Morals (where have your posts been, Ben?), All Creatures of Good Heart (Bellingham), and Hello Morning. I read a description of the Morals on PC-PDX as "campfire rockers". I think this is perfect. I usually describes them as a slightly skinnier and less funny funny Tenacious D. Or I describe them as good. I am really bad at describing music, which is why I just list shows instead of writing about them. Oh, and I just listened to All Creatures of Good Heart and loved it. Seriously, its only $2. The ALL AGES show starts at 8 PM.
  • Valentine's is having a kick ass show with Nurses, AAN, and Genchen & Reidel. I love Nurses so much. I really like AAN as well. And I'll be darned, I just listened to Grenchen & Reidel (members of Inside Voices)and it is superb as well. It is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Tuesday, December 9th

Only could find one show that I am "feeling".


Wednesday, December 10th

Finally there is some shows to choose from.

  • KBOO (90.7 FM) is having We're From Japan! on the radio this Wednesday as part of the Drinking From Puddles show! I love this band so much. Their new album is about to drop in America. it has been available in Japan (and the internet) for a couple months. Get ready for a CD release party later this week. The show is 8PM - 11PM.
  • Dunes is having another Tight Hug show. This time with Root Beer and French Fry, Ferocious Eagle, and Late Night Curly. All bands are worth seeing, but Root Beer and French Fry are on my ever growing list of Portland Bands that I have not seen but really like a lot. This show is $5 and starts at 10 PM.
  • Doug Fir is having Thao with The Get Down Stay Down (D.C./San Fran) who I have heard nothing but good things. I list this because Laura Gibson will be one of the openers. I like the new stuff I have been hearing out of Laura ( I like the old stuff too). Amber Rubarth (Brooklyn) will be the other opener. The show is $10 and starts at 9 PM.

Thursday, December

Here is a group of shows that will make any local music fan more than satisfied. If you are not a local music fan (why are you reading this?), then you could go see Bone Thugs at Roseland.

  • The Funky Church (2456 SE Tamarack Ave, Portland, Oregon 97214) will be having a Jazz show with Blue Cranes and The Tiptons (Seattle). This is some upbeat stuff. I would imagine an audience member might want to "get down" while listening to this music. The show is $6 and starts at 8 PM.
  • Doug Fir is having an all local line up comprised of Wow & Flutter, Carcrashlander, and Swim Swam Swum. It also serves as a record release show for both Wow & Flutter and Carcrashlander. I can't vouch for W&F's, but I know that Carcrashlander's if great. Plus Swim Swam Swum are really good old fashioned indie rock. The show is $6 and starts at 9 PM.


So if you see me at any of these shows, please say "Hi".

-Ben


Jef Brown blows! (ha ha). But seriously, he's really good and playing tonight at Valentine's

6 comments:

Goldie Davich said...

Ben - Don't by EJB's vinyl... or tell me if you already have it.

Goldie Davich said...

Jef Brown blow's awesome out of his horn.

Unknown said...

I saw We're from Japan play Dekum a couple months ago and they BLEW ME AWAY. Absolutely STUNNING. They have some limited edition hand numbered albums with some really cool artwork so pick one up if you have a chance.

Also saw a great show at the coop last Friday for the first time... great lineup.

I WILL NOT be missing back fence PDX mostly because DANNY SEIM of MENOMENA & LACKTHEREOF will be there. He is a GREAT story teller and writes regularly for some of the local rags and also wrote the Menomena tour blog for localcut. I should however preface this with the fact that I'm absolutely OBSESSED with Lackthereof and Menomena. I'm looking forward to this, should be cool and unusual.

Ben Meyercord said...

Menomenation--those are some good bands to be obsessed with. I know that the first time I heard "Wet and Rusting" it blew my mind. It is like exactly all the the things I love about music.

Amber Dawn said...

It was so fun playing with you! Ok end blog incestuousness..
not!
btw you made a typo, we're a singular book, not multiple books. but you got it right like, every other time, so whateves.

Ben Meyercord said...

Damn. I hate typos. I will fix it and you will look Foolish! Or maybe not.