Its Friday. Meaning that the weekend is upon us. Meaning that there are a bunch of shows that you have the option of seeing.
Friday, December 5th
Quite a few choices tonight.
- Okay, I know this is a conflict of interest, but I want to say that there will be a great show at Lewis and Clark college ( templeton student center: 0615 SW Palatine Hill Road, Porltand, 97219-7879) put on by KLC Radio with (Me)ercord, New Century School Book (featuring CIMTB contributer Amber Dawn), and Black Hearts for Blue Skies and others. I will be making a rare appearance with a backing band (with members of Westfold, and David Kyle and the Invisibles). New Century School Book and Black Hearts for Blue Skies are both very good pop bands. The ALL AGES show is $3 (FREE is you are a Lewis and Clark student) and starts at 7 PM.
- The big show for tonight is happening at the Aladdin Theater and is a Holiday Sweater show with Portland Cello Project. Like all PCP shows there are crap load of very talented guests. This show will have Mirah, Jenny Conlee (of the Decemberists), and Ritchie Young (of Loch Lomond). This will certainly be a great show. Wear your holiday sweater and bring your $13-15 (the cover). The ALL AGES will start at 8 PM (doors at 7 PM).
- The Coop will be host to the excellent Blue Horns, Wallpaper (Auburn, WA), Frisky, and Valkyrie Rodeo (Oly). Wallpaper will be performing on air on KPSU at 6 PM too. Blue Horns are really a fun treat to see perform. I don't know about the other bands, but at $2 it might be worth checking out. The ALL AGES show starts at 8 PM.
- The Artistery is having a White Fang show with Mad Rad (Seattle), and Deelay Ceelay. I don't know about the bands that are not White Fang, but White Fang is good. Plus there is a rumor that they will perform an entirely nude set. So if you want to see some naked young men play some rock music, check it out. The ALL AGES show is $5 and starts at 7:30 PM.
- The Waypost is having Ah Holly Fam'ly play a show with Galveston. Vivla Americana! If you have read these posts of mine, then you know that I really like Ah Holly Fam'ly's music thoughI have yet to be able to make it to a show. There will be other stuff happening at the Waypost too, so check out the website. This is the latest show of theirs I will miss. It is ALL AGE, FREE and starts at 8 PM.
- Chris Robley and The Fear of Heights will play its second show of the week (this time full band) at the Someday Lounge. Local acts Tango Alpha Tango, and James Low will also be playing. I hear it is a CD release party for Chris's new album "Movie Theatre Haiku". The show is $8 and starts at 9 PM.
- The Doug Fir will have its first night (of two) of the The Thermals come back shows. They finally will premiering the new drummer. I bet they will be premiering new material as well. Only one way to find out. They will be playing with Panther, and Champagne Champagne (Seattle), will DJ Maggie Vail spinning records too. The show is $12 and starts at 9 PM.
- Kelly's Olympian is having a metal-ish show. I don't listen to a whole lot of this kind of music but out of this line up: Roanoke, Paranaut, Sod Hauler (Seattle), and Nandi Devi, I really like Nandi Devi. So if you want something heavy, this is your show. It is $5 and starts at 9 PM.
Saturday, December 6th
Damn. There are are a lot of shows on Saturday too.
- The Artistery is having a show with Pwrfl Power, Grey Anne, and Luzelena Mendoza (of Y La Bamba). This will be a really good show as all acts are ever so talented. Again to be fair, I will be performing with Luzelena. But I was a fan way before I started performing with her. Grey Anne who recently released her album "Facts N Figurines" is also excellent. She uses her looping pedal to create very wonderful songs. And though I have not seen him, I hear that Pwrfl Power is very good. The ALL AGES show is $6 and starts at 8 PM.
- There is also a very good show happening at Chaos Cafe. It is comprised of Westfold, New Century School Book, and Dio McLeod. This is your second opportunity to see New Century School Book in as many days. Also CIMTB favorite Westfold will be debuting some new material. And I feel like every one should know about Dio McLeod, cause he is super good (if you like that Red House Painters kind of thing). The ALL AGES show is FREE and starts at 8 PM.
- Speaking of second chances to see shows the Doug Fir will have its second night (of two) of the The Thermals come back shows. They finally will premiering the new drummer. I bet they will be premiering new material as well. Only one way to find out. They will be playing withChampagne Champagne (Seattle), will DJ Maggie Vail spinning records too. The difference is that this is an ALL AGES show. It is $12 and starts at 5 PM.
- And one more show that features a band that has played earlier in the week is happening at Trillium Charter School. Where Double Dutch, who played at Holocene on Wednesday, will be playing a bill with Alan Singley and Pants Machine. This is most surely a benefit for the Trillium Charter school "a public school that nurtures each child's inherent curiosity, creativity and connection to community." Plus there is rumor of belly dancers? There is a suggested $3-5 cover charge the show is at 4 PM.
- Hawthorne Theater is having yet another show with an artist who has played earlier this week. This time is Boy Eats Drum Machine, which is cool because when he played on Wednesday it was free. This time there is a cover, but there also Jetpack: missing, and Greenlander playing (both who I don't know of). The cover that I mentioned is $8. The ALL AGES show starts at 8 PM.
- The Know is having a special show which is, as far as I know, the first show The Prids have played since their automobile accident earlier this year. The Estranged and Spider Test will also be playing. This is a FREE show that starts at 8 PM.
- The Green Dragon (928 SE 9th Ave Portland, OR 97214) is having a very good show with Team Evil (members of Point Juncture) and The Subcons. I really like what I have heard of the Subcons. Check it out. It is FREE and starts at 8 PM.
Sunday, December 7th
Since you probably can't afford a ticket to NIN. This is your alternative.
- Alberta Street Pub will have a show with Andy Combs and the Moth, and Ashia. Andy and his band are pretty fun. I don't know Ashia, but I know I can't afford that NIN ticket and that this is FREE. The show starts at 8 PM.
So go see some shows. If you see me, say "Hi".
New Century School Book plays twice this week. Including tonight at Lewis and Clark. With me!