Friday, November 28, 2008

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for November 28th to 30th

Hello Dear Readers,

It's Black Friday. What did you buy? Do you have any money left? I f you do, you might consider going to some local shows. What shows? These shows.

Friday, November 28th

There is some really good stuff happening tonight. Really good stuff.

  • I can't lie. I am very excited about the show at Doug Fir Lounge tonight. AristeiA (with me on bass!) is opening up for The Sea and Cake (they have a new album out and you can stream it from their myspace)! Actually, so is Sad Horse, the local yell-y garage-y duo. Congrats to them as well. So basically you got garage, instrumental post-rock, and post-rock-pop. Pretty crazy line up, but it should be really cool. The show is $15 and starts at 9 PM.
  • The Waypost is having a show with Alan Singley and Pants Machine along with a set by The Moon in Light. I have enjoyed Alan's music ever since I moved here and have enjoyed his progression to the lush arrangements he has been cooking up recently. Plus, I am interested in The Moon in Light. They just came onto my radar last week but they got on my radar by being good. The show will be ALL AGES and FREE and starts at 8 PM.
  • Valentine's will be having a night of dancing with DJ Copy and DJ Hostile Takeover. DJ Copy is Copy spinning really good records. DJ Hostile Tapeover is Joe Von Appen playing really good cassette tapes ie "typically pretty up-tempo, high-energy Miami jams". This thing is also FREE. It starts at 9:30 PM and ends at 2:30 AM (that's so much dancing).

Saturday, November 29th

Here is a list of alternatives to the Wu Tang show that is happening on Saturday.

  • The big show that is happening is at the Crystal Ballroom, where The Decemberists are kicking off their tour with other Portland act Loch Lomond. This show will be really cool. If you have seen either of these bands you know that this is not to be missed. I am excited for Loch Lomond to get the national exposure that is sure to come with this tour. The show is a somewhat steep $27.50 -$30 (actually it might be more as I just found out it is a sold out show). It is ALL AGES and starts at 8 PM.
  • The Pink House (4805 N. Albina) is having a benefit show for Stump Club. The bands playing it are Westfold, Tabitha and the Bittersweet, Blake Mackey, Pegasus, and Inside Voices. All of these bands are pretty rad, a) musically and b) because they are donating their time and energy for this cause. Check out the Stump Club CDs while you are there. I bet you will want to buy them. I know that I do. The ALL AGES show starts at 7 PM.
  • There is also a pretty cool show over at Holocene. The show is in celebration of the Cartune Xprez DVD. The DVD will obviously be available for sale, but I am listing this because Hooliganship, MEGA*CHURCH, and Explode Into Colors are playing. The DVD has show has several animations by some crazy cartoonists (many of them from Portland). The event is presented by PICA. It is not to be missed if you are a fan of animation or of cool sorta electro-rock. The show is $6 and starts at 9 PM.
  • Twilight Cafe Bar and Grill is having an awesome show of some great Portland bands. Namely the Blue Horns, St. Frankie Lee, and AAN. I have seen those first two bands and enjoyed the energy that they bring to their live performances. As for AAN, I have been meaning to catch for like, forever. The show is only $4 and starts at 9 PM.
  • The Artistery is having a show for its own Metal. It is a release show for the new album "Fearful". The show is FREE with some refreshments provided. I think it might be a ploy for to make you want to buy the LP + CD package that will be available for the small price of $12. When you think that you can get a refreshment, a live show, a record, a cd, and an overall good time, then $12 doesn't seem to bad. The FREE ALL AGES show starts at 8 PM.
  • The Waypost is having a show with some people I have heard of and one that I think is really good. I have heard of Ryan Dolliver (aka DBL DRGNZ). I have also heard that this will be a special solo piano performance. To add to the list of things I have heard of, I want to throw out the name Bryan Free. I have a split ep he put out with Day of Lions. a long time ago. Kelli Schaefer is just plain perfect in what she does. Listen to her recordings. Then go see her live and see how good she is. This is a FREE ALL AGES show that starts at 8 PM.

Sunday, November 30th

Last day of the month. Go out in style by attending one of these shows.

  • The show I absolutely have to recommend is happening at Valentine's. It is a show of all very talented ladies. Not that kind of show, but y'know the kind that has Sarah Dougher, Laura Gibson, and Saw Whet. I have seen both Laura Gibson and Saw Whet on a number of occasions and and always leave very satisfied. In fact, last week when I saw her play there were new songs. Maybe this week she pull out some more new numbers. Sarah Dougher hasn't played a show in what seems a lifetime so this is kinda a big deal. Plus the show is FREE. The show will start at 9 PM but come early as this show will be packed.
  • There will be a show at Kelly's Olympian with The Friendly Skies (it should be noted that they are also Friendly Guys), Chinese (Seattle), Rollie Fingers, and The Ax. I list this show mostly because I enjoy the instrumental post-rock jams that The Friendly Skies kick out,. I have also seen and rocked out to The Ax as well (they are a rawk tow piece from the area). The show is $4 and starts at 9 PM.
  • Speaking of skies, Black Hearts for Blue Skies are playing the FREE Rontoms show that happens every Sunday Night. The first time I saw them I was like, "whatever", but then I was listening to the radio the other day and heard this song called "Siouxsie Please Come Home" and I was like,"Hey, what is this? I like this". It sounded like an oldies song but better recorded. It turns out it was Black Hearts for Blue Skies. So I am willing to give them another chance. They have the FREE show listed as 5 PM (which does not sound right to me, but whatevs).
  • Andy Combs and the Moth will be playing Sunday night at Back Space. I saw him play solo and was impressed with ho well he pulls it off solo (with the aid of a looping pedal). But I have seen him play with the full band and it is super fun. The Ugly Suit (Oklahoma City) and Quail Lungs ate also set to play. I know nothing of them. The ALL AGES show is $7 and starts at 9 PM.

So if you see me at any of these shows, please say, "Hi".

-Ben


AristeiA will "Bring It" to the Doug Fir tonight! It should be noted that The Sea and Cake will be there too.
photo by Patrick

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so incredibly pumped about Cartune Xprez!