Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for November 17- 20th

Hello Dear Readers,

I just wanted to check in with you. Are you there? Have you been to any shows lately? Did I list them? If not, what shows should I be checking out? There are plenty shows I think you should be checking out. In fact I made a list for you.

Monday, November 17th

Valentines is having Michael Kitson play a set. Usually Michael heads the full band versions of his songs in Make Nice. The Moon In Light and Galveston will also be playing. I think Michael is a good songwriter who generally keeps good music company. Case in point I have heard nothing but good things about Galveston. This is an early show for Valentine's as it will start at 8:30 PM (rumour has it that one of the members of Michael Kitson's band has a date). This mother is FREE.

Tuesday, November 18th

My Mom is in town so I doubt I will be able to make it to any Tueday or Wednesday shows which is a shame cause look:

Workssound is having the tour kick off show for Blue Cranes. The Jazzy Blue Cranes will be performing with the Portland sextet (of The Portland Cello Project). I should have sold by now. What? You want more? Quiet Countries and Gavin Castleton will also be playing. You want even more? There will be a screening of St. Helens Road by Jim Blashfield.
There. Are you happy? The ALL AGES show will have a suggested donation cover of $8-$12 (but nobody will be turned away) and start at 8:30 PM.

Backspace is having a show with Adam Stephens (of Two Gallants). Not local. But, The Old Believers are opening. Local. This should be a great show if you like folk influenced music. This may give you the opportunity to see if Two Gallants are better than one. And, if you have not picked up the latest CD from The Old Believers, I suggest that you do (because it is good). The ALL AGES show is $8 starts at 9 PM.

Valentine's is having a show with Guidance Counselor, Chrome Wings, and Wild Kingdom. Guidance Counselor is a lot of fun to dance to (if you are in the vicenity of a Guidance Counselor show and are not dancing, then there is most likely something wrong with your nervous sytem and should consolt a physician). I have Missed Chrome Wings on a number of occasions and have been told I am missing out. This show will be FREE and start at 9 PM.

Wednesday, November 19th

There are a lot of good shows on Wednesday. Good thing I don't get to choose (thanks mom).

Jade Lounge is having its second in a series of Y La Bamba currated Wednesday night shows. This week will feature Adrienne of Autopilot is for Lovers and Jesse and Josh from Oh Captain My Captain. It will be a rare treat to see these musicians play in this intimate and stripped down version. The best part though, is that it is FREE. The music will start at 8 PM.

The Hawthorne Theater, a place I normally avoid at all costs, is having a Big Time Entertainment, a promotion scheme that I hate even more than the Hawthorne, show that I actually show interest in. They will be having The Sarcastic Dharma Society, Times New Roman, Project Sign, Satellite, The Melodic Arts, False Signal, and Dan Duval all play in one night (7 bands in one night another thing that kinda makes me vomit in my mouth). Despite all these negative things, I love me some Sarcastic Dharma Society and reccomend cathing at least that part of the show if you are able. I am not familiar with any of the other bands (but there is a good amount of the 'Cove being represented), so I will not comment on them. The ALL AGES show is $10 and starts at 7 PM.

Kelly's Olympian is having a show with the both very talented Saw Whet and The Harvey Girls. It would be a treat to see either. And a delight to see both. This show will cost you $3 and starts at 9 PM.

Thursday, November 20th

Several things are happening this Thursday. Things like this:

Icebreaker (1109 West Burnside) is a store that is celebrating its one year anniversary. The reason I am listing this is because The Subcons, a good local band, are playing as part of the celebration. THis is a FREE ALL AGES event, that starts at 6 PM.

Holocene is having an Amazing Local show featuring Point Juncture, WA, A Weather, and Deer or the Doe. Point Juncture is using this show as their CD release for their new album Heart to Elk (though I have not heard it, I am told it is good).
Plus A Weather is one of my top favorite Portland Bands ever. This show is $7 and starts at 9 PM.

Dekum Manor is having a show with Holy Smokes!!!!!!!!, Syrup, Nurses, Curious Hands, and Stag Bitten. Though I have not seen any of these bands except Nurses (who were awesome), I am familiar with all of the names except Stag Bitten (sorry Stag Bitten). For those of you not familiar with Dekum Manor, it is one of the primeire place to see a house show. That being said, I expect this to be a pretty kickass show. It is ALL AGES, FREE (I think), and starts at 8 PM.

There are more shows that I am interested in, but in order to save time (I believe I am already a day late), I streamlined my picks. I hope you guys make it out o some of these shows.

-Ben


The Sarcastic Dharma Society - We Were from sarcasticdharma on Vimeo.

The Sarcastic Dharma Society will Play Wednesday night!

No comments: