Monday, November 3, 2008

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for November 2nd -6th

Hello Dear Readers,

I think it is Officially the hardest time of the year to see live music. It has started raining and people (at least myself) have started to feel the appeal of hibernation. I woke up totally planning on seeing a show last night, but could not bring myself to leave the house when it came time. Hopefully I can reverse this, because I genuinely love to see live music. Luckily there aren't too many good local shows at the beginning of this week.

Monday, November 2nd

This is a first. There are no local shows that I saw that particular want to see. Though it is not music related, you might want to check out the premiere of Cars III at Kelly's Olympian at 10 PM. The Mercury said it happens today, though I cannot find out any information to back this claim up. Also, Pix Patisserie is having a FREE screening of The Wizard at 8:30 PM.

Tuesday, November 4th

Election night! I am not sure if will want to go anywhere that doesn't have a TV. But...

Wednesday, November 5th


Things get kinda back to normal with a number of shows that interest me.
  • Rotture is having a show with Yeltsin and The Days. Yeltsin released an album not too long ago that popped onto my radar via local cut. I wanted to see one of the release shows for the album but ended up not being able to. Maybe I can catch this one. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.
  • The Know is having a show with one of the few local "heavy" bands that I enjoy. Nanda Devi will be doing an awesome set. Nux Vomica and Sammoth Race, both of which I am unfamiliar with, will be playing that night as well. The show is FREE and starts at 8 PM.
  • If you like dancing then you might want to investigate the sounds that will be happening at Holocene. Jeans Team (Berlin), and locals Strength and Ryan Dolliver with his DBL DRGNZ (his band) will be playing sets. Seriously, bring the dancing shoes. The show is $7 and starts at 9 PM.

Thursday, November 6th

Its first Thursday, so I am sure theres loads going down on Alberta. But Check these out:
  • Westfold, CIMTB highly recommends that you see this band, will be playing a show at Rotture with His Name Shall Breath, plus what is being billed as Friends and Family. I am not sure if that is a band or if they mean that someone's Dad will be whipping it out and playing for everyone. This show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

So try to break free from the comfort of your home and see some of these shows. And of course, if you see me then say "Hi".

-Ben


Blue Cranes will Jazz it up on Tuesday.
Photo by someone named Kai.

1 comment:

Goldie Davich said...

Cars III was fun! Ben -- Let's go see some comedy sometime...