Monday, January 17, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Monday, January 17th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last Night I realized a few things. I went to see The Ocean Floor at Romtoms. I realized that I really love that band. I also realized (again) that Rontoms is a terrible place for quiet bands. It is just too big with not enough of a sound system. Anyways, The Ocean Floor: Amazing. Rontoms sound for quiet bands: not so amazing. But the bands that play Sunday nights are usually good. And it is FREE, so I will not complain too much. Anyway, here are the shows that look good to me:

Beauty Bar is having as show with Lvndr Mrrr, Bodybldng, and DJ Acidwash (Dan from Pelican Ossman). Lvndr Mrrr is a side project of Lovers. Lovers is a very song driven band, which is probably why an outlet for the non song based music is needed. While this band is electronic in nature, it is something very different. Lvndr Mrrr is less concerned with structure, the music just naturally unfolds by adding layers of synths and changing beats. Bodybldng is a side project of Sex Life. While Sex Life is all about the 80's electro pop, Bodybldng is all about the disco. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Valentine's is having a show with Future Historians, Andy Combs And The Moth, and Larry Yes. Future Historians play acoustic pop. I haven't seen them. I would like to though. They are the King of Hearts label which is home to other good pop acts (Blue Skies for Black Hearts etc…). Andy Combs is all over the place. In his music and literally. I first heard of him because he used to live in Portland. Then he went to New York. Then he went to Ashland, OR. Then outside of Ashland. Now he is back. What I recall is that there is a lot of energy to an Andy Moth show. Plus he can totally shred if he wants to. I have seen him do it. Larry Yes is a name that I feel that I have seen around forever. He has a bunch of CDs for sale at Mississippi Records and occasionally plays shows. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at either of these shows please say, "Hi".

-Ben


Larry Yes will be play at Valentine's tonight

No comments: