Monday, January 10, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Monday, January 10th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I actually went to a show. I went to Rontoms and saw Archers and Soft Tags. I had a pretty good time. I really want to see both of these bands in a place with a good sound system.. I love the feel of Rontoms, but those high ceilings are not designed to have live music. Anyway, I picked up Archers 7" and it is great. I can't wait for a full length. It was the first time I saw both bands. It made me want to be in a rock band again. Really badly. Anyway, here are the shows that look good to me:

Doug Fir is having a show with Little Dragon (Gothenburg, Sweden) and Billygoat. Little Dragon is band from Sweden that I have never heard of. They seem to make electro music fronted by a lead woman. I know that this is well worn territory. Little Dragon manages to make is sound pretty fresh. Or maybe I just like that kind of music. They are doing a tour here in the states and are taking Portland's Billygoat with them. I really like the whole Billygoat experience. It is a mixture of detailed animation that matches their live playing. The music has always been cinematic in scope, but I have not seen them with the addition of a drummer. I bet it takes things to the next level. The show is $15 and starts at 9 PM.

Valentine's is having a show with Team Evil, Paper Upper Cuts, and Port St. Willow. Team Evil is a band that I have not seen despite me knowing about them. It features Skyler Norwood, you know that guy from Point Junture. Lot's of jazzy noodle guitars for post Promising Ring sound. Papper Upper Cuts is David 'Papi' Fimbres. He makes music by using drums keyboards and various live electronics. It is awesome. Port St. Willow is Nick Principe. I have not heard of him before. I but I like it. It has elements of acoustic folk with a beautiful falsetto voice mixed with elements of atmospheric sounds and sometimes epic drums. You can get his name at a name your price sort of deal at his bandcamp. I suggest you check out his tune "Even". I instantly loved it. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

World Famous Kenton Club is having a show with Lana Rebel & The Love Lasers. So I heard that Lana Rebel is not long for Portland. She will be moving to Arizona with her sweet heart. You gotta love that. But at the same time, I have not seen her play, but love her music. Classic sounding country music. I love it. The show is FREE and starts at 8 PM.

If you see me at one of the shows please say, "Hi".

-Ben


Billygoat will be doing their thing at Doug Fir tonight.

No comments: