Saturday, January 29, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Saturday, January 29th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I went to the Woods. I was pleased to find DJ Kooky Parker spinning soul. It was nice. Then I saw what I came for: Laura Gibson. It was the duo version that includes her boy friend and Musee Mecanique guy Sean Ogilive. Laura was great. She played a lot of old greats and a few new greats two. Sean manned a drum set but also added keyboard, shaker, backing vocals, and melodica. The impressive thing is that he played more than one of these interments and sang at the same time. Kudos. I cannot wait to hear her new album. Ghost of a Saber Tooth Tiger was pretty good. Sean Lennon was awkwardly charming. He and his girl friend Charlotte Kemp Muhl had some genuinely adorable stage banter. They had to start their last song four times because they kept cracking each other up. They also briefly went into a rendition of "Benny and the Jets" before finally getting through the song. The trumpet player C.J. Calamari was just outstanding. He was he very good playing wise, but he also got really creative with putting the trumpet through effects pedals to get really cool sounds. Many times I was looking around for another brass instrument. Plus he sometimes played the gorgeous french horn. Kudos. Anyways, here are some shows that look good to me tonight:

Backspace is having a show with Kay Kay and His Weathered Underground (Seattle), Oh Captain My Captain, and Archeology. I am not familiar with Kay Kay and his Weathered Underground. They seem to be a large pop band that is so popular these days. I am mostly am writing about this show because of my love for Oh Captain My Captain. Jesse Bettes can write the crap out of a song. Also, he has a knack of surrounding himself with equally awesome musicians. It has the same feel of Dr. Dog or some other amazing pop band. Archeology is another pop band, but they seem to have a more indie rock feel. While Oh Captain My Captain has a more classic pop feel. The ALL AGES show is $15 and starts at 9 PM.

Banana Stand is having a show with A Million Years Ago (Seattle) and Orca Team. A Million Years Ago is a band that I have not heard before but it sounds pretty cool. No bass, two guitars, keyboard, and drums. Plus they also some great harmonies going on. Power pop at its finest. Orca Team is a great band. I haven't seen them, but I really love their music. A lot. You should check them out. Go to the show pick up a tape. Also you should check out the Banastand website. They record all of their love shows and them put it on their site. The ALL AGES show is FREE and starts at 8 PM.

Star E Rose is having a show with Lee Corey Oswald, Bear Feet, and Grey Anne. This show is a benefit for a worker that was fired from Starbucks for trying to organize workers. You know how Starbucks has a bad rep. It's because of stuff like this. Lee Corey Oswald are playing an acoustic set. They have apparently strayed from this set up for a while. Bear Feet is a folk, jazz, gypsy, blues band. They have washboards and everything. Grey Anne is an amazing songwriter. She is also an amazing performer. I would list this show no matter what it was based on her alone. It just so happens to be be for a good cause. The show is a suggested $5-$10 (though no one will be turned away for a lack of funds) and starts at 7 PM.

The Secret Society is having a last minute show with Black Mercies and Secret Codes. That is the perfect place for Secret Codes to play. Both venue and band have the word "secret" in them. You see? Anyway I have yet to make it out to The Secret Society. It is the smaller place connected to the Wonder Ballroom. I have made it out to see Secret Codes before. I like them a lot. Think Tortoise meets Efterklang with some other stuff thorn in. It's kinda jazzy kinda post rock. You will like it. The show is at 9 PM.


If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". Geetings not beatings!

-Ben


Orca Team will be play the Banastand tonight!

No comments: