Thursday, September 30, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Thursday, September 30th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I did not end up going out. I had a three hour plus Meyercord practice getting ready for our show on Saturday. It was awesome, but kind of musiced me out. I hope that some of you guys did though. Anyway, here are some of the portland-centric shows happening tonight:

Mississippi Studios is having a show with Cory Chisel & The Wandering Sons, The Parson Red Heads, Kasey Anderson. Alas something has happened to myspace and I am unable to listen to the music it contains. Cory Chisel and his band seem to make music in the same ball park of Ray Lamontage. The Parson Red Heads are one of the newer Portland transplants. I have never seen them play, but I have tried. They played at The White Eagle but it got to capacity before I arrived. So I guess they are pretty good. I know much about Kasey Anderson. The show is $10 and starts at 9 PM.

The Knife Shop is having a show with Mike Coykendall and Blue Skies for Black Hearts. Mike maybe best known for the excellent records he has been a part of recording, but he also is a songwriter and performer in his own right. Blue Skies for Black Hearts is a wonderful pop band that has fined tuned its craft. It has been a little bit since their last album, so I bet they have a few new numbers. The show will be a good one. Especially for the price. The show is $4 and starts at 9 PM.

The Woods is having a show with Shoeshine Blue, John Vecchiarelli and Ezza Rose. Shoeshine Blue is one Mike Apinyakul and the folks he has back him. I really like it. It is definitely on the folkier side of things. John Vecchairelli is gonna have a busy night. He sometimes drums for Shoeshine Blue. Plus he will be playing his songs. He also drums with Ezza Rose who also has put together a great band. I her new line up at the Doug Fir recently. I was way impressed. Especially with the vocal harmonies. The show is $7 and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at either of these shows please say, "Hi".

-Ben


I don't think kids will be at Shoeshine Blues show at The Woods tonight, but you older ones should totally check it out.

No comments: