Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Tuesday, September 7th

Hello Dear Readers,

Honestly I didn't see any shows that caught my eye yesterday. It was weird. I also would like to announce that I started doing a little bit of blogging for Nike Sports Wear. Yesterday I did a video blog and some actual blog stuff too. I am not sure it is up yet. But keep an eye out for your boy. Anyways, here are some shows happening tonight:

Black Rose Infoshop is having a show with Stephanie (Seattle), M. Women (Seattle), Magic Johnson, and Karen. I have read that Stephanie, who is actually a band and not a single female as my narrow minded brain initially though it might be, is a lo-fi band that uses a lot of casio-beats and guitars to create a delicate form of rock music. I have also heard that the vocals are not every one's cup of tea. But as an indie rock lover, this does little to dissuade me. They are going on tour with fellow Seattle's M. Women. M. is short for Medieval. Why? I don't know. They could also definitely be considered lo-fi, but they use real drums and are more of an indie pop band with a bit of a buzzy punk edge. There are often doubled female vocals which is an aesthetic I have yet to grow tired of. I feel like, and I could be wrong because I have never actually seen them live, Magic Johnson epitomizes the Portland House Show feel. The recordings I have heard are full of energy and seem very vital. It feels like punk, but if you put it up to an actual punk band it is not the same. It is fun though, and I would love to see them someday. Plus they sing in Spanish a whole lot. For some reason I think that is cool. Karen is another band that is a female name but is actually a band. They play kinda post punk tunes and I feel probably also are represenative of the immediacy that is house show rock and roll. The ALL AGES show did not have a listed cover and starts at 7 PM.

The Holocene is having it's monthly edition of The Rumble. Tonight they have Onuinu, Dale Earnhardt Jr Jr (Detroit, MI), and Norman. Dj Liz B will also be spinning some records. The Rumble is a monthly show. Actually it is a monthly west coast tour that goes From Portland to San Francisco to LA. Or is it the other way around? Anyways, they usually get a great local band to open. This time the headliner, Onuino, a Portland artist is headlining. Onuinu is the moniker of Dorian Duval that is equally comfortable in the ambient gentle psychedelic pop music world as he is the noisy lo-fi sound of early industrial music. Dale Earnhardt Jr Jr is a band that reminds me of Wilco circa Summerteeth or Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. I mean to say that the band takes classic folk rock or Americana or whatever and adds unexpected elements. In a very good way. Norman is a band that I have written about several times before. They fall easily in the indie folk rock camp. The show is FREE and starts at 8:30 PM.

If you see me at either of these shows please say "Hi". I will be the one probably in the Nike shirt.

-Ben


Magic Johnson play the Black Rose Infoshop this very evening.

1 comment:

lindsay said...

oooh lala FREE Dale Earnhardt Jr Jr show? i've been wanting to see how they are live. thank you for the heads up Mr. Meyercord