Thursday, September 2, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Thursday, August 2nd

Hello Dear Readers,

Did you guys make it out. Apparently I did not. Someone please help me out here. It seems like I will never make it out to shows at this rate. Though I think that maybe my body is just resting up for next week when I will most assuredly be showed out by that weeks end (MFNW is next week folks). Any who, here are some shows happening tonight:

Ella Street Social Club is having a show with Cars & Trains, Ethernet, and Hokus Majic. Cars & Trains is someone that I have been championing for a while. I love the guys music. It is instantly likable. I think of it as kinda glitchy folk tinged beat music. Or something. There is a lot of live looping involved and it is just really good. Ethernet is pretty ambient music. Emphasis on pretty. I am not sure what it would be like live, but I wouldn't mind getting some of the music for when I just want to "chill out". Hokus Majic is a two piece that create music that somehow is both very poppy and hypnotic or dare I say almost trance inducing music. In a good way. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

Tender Loving Empire is having a show with Woodwinds and Love Always. It is first Thursday and Tender Loving Empire always has something going on for First Thursday. Today they have Megan Spear's (of Jared Mees & The Grown Children) project Woodwinds. I have only seen them once and it was a long time ago. I would imagine that there may have been a lineup change since then. But I remember it being a pop band. Megan knows how to work an audience, I think that this would be a chance for her to shine. Love Always is the solo project of Kathy Foster (the Thermals lady). Her music is poppy and she tends to use backing tracks that she has pre-recorded. It is along the lines of the pop that she is known for, but cool to see her in her own musical world that she has created. The show is FREE and starts at 8 PM.

Guerrilla Gallery is having a show with We Play Quiet, Y Lime?, Starparty, and P-bot, Meyertron. I mostly write about this show because I think that We Play Quiet is a good band. They are the good kind of pop punk. Not the bad kind. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM

If you see me at either of these shows please say, "hi".

-Ben

I could no video today. sorry :(

No comments: