Sunday, September 12, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Sunday, September 12th

Hello Dear Readers,

It has been a crazy busy and insane week for me. I did some Nike coverage for the blog which included a bunch of videos with me wearing some fresh Nike gear. I performed in Y La Bamba at the Tender Loving Empire showcase at Someday Lounge. I played in Sean Flinn & The Royal We last night at Bunk Bar. Bunk Bar is a cool space. Hopefully I go to more shows there in the future. Yesterday at work I was planning on blogging, but a huge film crew came into my work and filmed for Portlandia a new show that's going to be on IFC. I saw both Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein the two main creative people behind the show. Pretty crazy. Anyway I hope you got to see some of the MFNW shows. There were some good Portland bands playing last night, the biggest being The Decemberists. Actually that whole Pioneer Courthouse Square was a Portland line up. Laura Veirs, Blue Giant and Weinland also played. Elsewhere around town Ritchie Young, Aan, Dirty Mittens, Monarques, Lovers, and Menomena played. Good times were had I am sure. Here are my picks for today:

Bar Bar is having a show with Sue Weaver and Duover. This is a continuation of what Bar Bar had in August where every Sunday they are hosting two bands to play two sets switching off every hour on the hour from 3 PM to 7 PM. Sue Weaver aka Little Sue makes perfect Americana Pop. All of her songs have a crispness about them that just sound good. In a genre that is steeped with downer after downer, her music comes off a pretty up beat. Duover is the latest for Portland Music Scene staple Nathan Jr. He and Rebbecca Rasmussen create really easy going boy/girl folk pop. You can stream their self titled album from the link I provided, or you can do one of those pay what you want type things and own a digital copy. The show is FREE and starts at 3 PM.

Pioneer Courthouse Square is having a show with The National, The Walkmen (NYC), The Helio Sequence, and Talkdemonic. Honestly this looks like one of the best line ups in the whole MFNW schedule. I like like all of the bands. Actually I really like most of these bands. Talkdemonic make chill beat driven music that is as well versed in folk instruments (especially the viola) as it is the array of electronic elements (especially low synth bass type stuff). It is all instrumental and I find it to be the perfect soundtrack to just about anything. The Helio Sequence is the duo that is the only band that formed in Beaverton to kinda make it. They make light indie rock with a curious amount of instruments for a duo. They put out a split with Menomena in April for Record Store Day. As hard as it is to admit I think that their side was better than Menomena's. The Walkmen just can't seem to do wrong. I have enjoyed this band from the very start of their career. They had a song in some sort of commercial, but have since then consistently put out great albums. They make music with a lot of space and organ and a singer that belts out his songs in a very distinct croon. The National are a peculiar band for me. I love them. But honestly I only have one album that I listen to over and over again. That of course being Alligator. I am sure the two albums that came after it are great too, but I am not ready yet. The show starts at 4 PM.

Valentine's is having a show with Grouper, Pioneer, and Neglect. I read that it is not so much a Grouper show, so much as a collaboration of Liz Harris aka Grouper and IIyas Ahmed. I am sure that whatever it is will be absolutely gorgeous and gentle and will make you feel like you are in some sort of dream state. Pioneer is a project that I had difficulty locating any information on, but have gotten the impression from Valentine's blog that it involves audio and visual elements. Neglect is the musical outlet of Joseph Valentino who apparently moved back into town recently from Tucson. He makes music that combines ambient type music with beats. Sounds contradictory I know, but it also sounds pretty cool. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Rontoms is having Dolorean, Derby, and Norman. Come get your Folk pop on. For FREE. Dolorean who played a MFNW set early is bring some more tonight. Derby who lean a little more towards pop than Americana will also be doing a set. And of course their is the pride of the Willamette Valley Norman. They also do the genre tag Americana proud. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi".

-Ben


Talkedemonic help close out MFNW this afternoon at Pioneer Courhouse Square.

No comments: