Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Wednesday, September 29th

Hello Dear Readers,
I am back. Tour was great. Y La Bamba's album Lupon was officially released everywhere yesterday. Typhoon is the best band Y La Bamba have ever gone on tour with. Granted we have only done the "tour with another band" twice once before: once was with Meyercord and the other was with Sean Flinn and The Royal We (both pretty much shared all members at that time). But I am absolutely in love with Typhoon. As a band and as people. So ummm... how have you guys been? What was your favorite show that I missed? Let me know. Anyway, here are some shows that look good to me:

Doug Fir is having a show with School of Seven Bells, Active Child, and Themes. School of Seven Bells, as I recall, make very chill music. Like lite indie electronic kissed lullabies. Active Child is a band whose CD I actually got on the tour from Filter Magazine. I asked them to give me all the promo CDs they had. I have not had a chance to really listen to it yet. Themes are some of the nicest people I know. Plus they have been in the "biz" for a while Jacey has been touring the country since he was like 15 years old. He knows everyone and plays cool music to boot. He and his now wife play the baritone guitar and keys respectively and make to make some moody ass music. The show is $14 and starts at 9 PM.

Dunes is having a show with Mustaphamond, Neo (Italy), Tribraco (Italy), and With Eyes Abstract. There are some Italian experimental jazz rock bands playing here in Portland? Crazy. I am mostly writing about this because of With Eyes Abstract. They are part of Brofam. Brofam generally doesn't steer listeners wrong. This particular three piece makes kinda spazzy incredible hard to play music. Actually most Brofam does. In a good way. The show is probably hella cheap if there is a cover at all and starts at 9 (usually actually 10 though).

If you see me at either of these shows please say, "Hi". I am back from tour and should be back to a more regular showering schedule (i.e. I don't stink, you can approach me).

-Ben



With Eyes Abstract will play the Dunes tonight.

1 comment:

lindsay said...

Rad. I was just turned on to school of seven bells. gonna check them out