Sunday, September 5, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Sunday, September 5th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last Night I played at Press Club in Y La Bamba. Sorry I couldn't tell you officially. Secret Shows are secret. We ended up playing two sets covering most of the material we know. Also we threw in some numbers that we didn't know so well. It was a lot of fun and some people went on to go to Langano Lounge afterwards, but I could not bring myself to do it. Two sets kind finished me for the night. But whatevs, here are the shows that look good to me tonight.

Rontoms and Autopilot Is for Lovers, El Rey, and Brothers Young. Autopilot has gone through some drastic changes recently. In fact, I have no idea what the lineup will be tonight. But I know that Adrienne Hatkin will be there singing her songs. Whether they are piano songs or accordion songs, or banjo songs, or even guitar songs, Adrienne holds them down with her unique strong voice. They often waltz or bluesy and often both. El Rey is a mystery to me. Brothers Young are not. They are the band of mostly brothers that make music that due to a heavy use of doubled and sometimes tripled unison voices always reminded me of Beta Band. Their songs are interesting and they apparently just put out and ep, Good People, last week. This show is definitely the most bang for your buck. The show is FREE and 9 PM.

Mississippi Pizza is having a show with Sea Caves. I have not written about a show at Mississippi Pizza in a long time. They have shows there a lot, but most of it does not pop up on my indie music radar. Sea Caves are a band that are on my radar. I am not sure how they got there, but I want to say that it has something to do with Oh Captain My Captain. I want say that I have seen them because they played shows together. Sea Caves plays rock music that has really cool guitar parts. Check out the song Traveled Far on their myspace page. It has a guitar that sounds kinda cool throughout the verses and gets all crunchy during the choruses. It reminds me of angular Midwest music of the 90's. The show does not advertise a cover and starts at 6 PM.

Mudai Lounge is having a show with Mattress, Lovely Dovies (New Orleans), Little Gold (Brooklyn), Guantanamo Baywatch. Mattress is the band that Rex Marshall fronts. I have not seen him play as Mattress in a long time, but it used to be him singing in his deep almost crooning voice over a tape machine which played his pre-recorded minimal beat laced jams. There is now a drummer and some guitar. Lovely Dovies and Little Gold are going on a little rock and roll tour together. Lovely Dovies are on a label called Tuff Fuzz which is perfect because when I was listening to their music fuzz was the first word that came to my mind. Rock was the second word. Fuzz-rock. Little Gold make guitar pop music. Which is too say there music is too rock to be just pop and too light to be just rock. It is a good place to be though. I like it. Guantanamo Baywatch is the band that I write about seemingly every week who have won my surf pop loving ears over. Give them a chance and they might win your ears over as well. It is really fun music. The show is $ for gas and starts at 9 pm.


If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi".

-Ben


Autopilot is For Lovers will be playing in some form or fashion tonight at Rontoms.

No comments: