Ummm....by now you might have noticed that I didn't post the weekend part of my music picks. I know I said I was going to but I didn't. I apologize. I also know that you probably were fine with out my picks. There is even a slight possibility that you did not notice. If that is the case, I would like to apologize to myself for pointing out my flaws. Any ways I am back and trying to get on track with the music picks:
Monday, May 26th
There are many good shows to choose from today. I have narrowed it down to the three shows I that make me wish there was only one show.
- The Crown Room is having David Evan play with his full band. If you have not heard them play then I understand why you aren't freaking out. I know that a lot of people don't really like Monday's. Well, this show is a good reason to reconsider. Chica Y Los Gatos will also be playing. I looked her up and she comes where I come from. Neat. This show is FREE. The music starts at 8:30 PM.
- Chaos Cafe will be having Down South Sallie perform tonight too. Sure she is great recorded but in all honesty, she must be seen live. It is quite a trip to see such a strong voice come from such a little body. She seems to have mastered her ability of channeling the place where blues, country, and jazz meet. The Ocean Floor whom I haven't seen, but I have heard and liked is also playing. This show is Also FREE. Plus it is ALL AGES.
- The Towne Lounge also has a show worth checking out if you are in that area (this for you NW Portlanders). Alak Alas Alaska (CA) will be playing with Blue Cranes, and Afternoon Brother (CA). I mainly reccommend this for Blue Cranes. They make jazz that can be appreciated by Jazz cats and indie-rock cats alike. The show is $5. The music starts at 9:30 PM.
Tuesday, May 27th
I got a couple of noteworthy shows to list for Tuesday.
- First off we have the monthly Pix Patisserie Guitar Pix which features the adorable songs of Super XX Man. As with last month, Ali Wesley will open the show. The music starts at 8 PM and is absolutely FREE. The pastries are not free, but are very good.
- Pela (Brooklyn), fresh from their performance at Sasquatch, will be playing at Doug Fir. The reason I list this is because suoer awesome locals, despite what their name might imply, We're From Japan! are opening the show. Good god I love that band. You should check it out. Highly reccomended. The show is $8 in advance and $10 at the show. The music starts at 9 PM.
I have narrowed my picks to two choices for Wednesday night as well.
- Holocene is having a half local show featuring Agent Ribbons (Sacremento), Autopilot is for Lovers, C.O.C.O. (Olympia), and The Ascetic Junkies. I have yet to see Autopilot, but I like the music that I have heard. I hear that Agent Ribbons are kinda of a Vauvillian female duo (this sentence probably seals the deal either for the show or against the show depending on your tastes). At $5 you aren't gambling too much. So check it out. The show starts at 9 PM.
- The Towne Lounge is having Problems?, Honey Taker, and 40 Hundred Thousand Locked Up Guns play as part of the Pop Tomorrow! series. This series is awesome because it allows you to see good music that you may not be familiar with for FREE. The music starts at 9:30 PM.
So thats what I have up until Wednesday. I hope you enjoy. And I promise promise promise that I will try to have the rest
of my show picks up by Wednesday. If you see me at any of these shows come up and say Hi.
Have a good week,
Down South Sallie Plays at Chaos Cafe on Monday.