I have been gone for what seems like forever. Forever and ever. I no longer have a mustache. I got a tan, I swam with a dolphin. I am changed. I got back in town but super busy for the last two days. So, I am going to give you a heads up of what's going down the first part of the week. Just a taste/tease really. Anyways, Check out what's happening.
Monday, May 19th
Heres what I am interested in:
- Chaos Cafe is having a show featuring Down South Sallie. There are probably others playing but they are not listed. Down South Sallie is the sort of person you have to see to beleive. Cause if you listen to her recordings your are like, "yeah, this is really good". But when you see this little white girl belt out these tunes you're all, "WTF. Is this for real?". And it is for real.I highly reccomend it of you like that place where blues, jazz, and country meet. This ALL AGES show is FREE. I believe it starts at 8 PM.
- Mississippi Studios is having LA's "neo-folk/ vagabond-pop group, Willoghby, play a set. I know, not local. But Graves, one of Portland's only really awesome soft'n'breezy pop bands, is opening. Greg Olin, the leader of Graves, knows how to write a good pop song. He also has gathered togeher quite a good band . Definitley worth checking out. The show is $7 or $8. The music starts at 8 PM.
- Valentine's is having a show too. It will probably be good. Aan, Tunnels, and Merce Cunningham Duo are all playing and while I have not seen any of these bands, I am still recomending it because I really really like what I have heard of Aan on their myspace. Feel free to click on their link or any of the other links to see if you like it too. This show is Effin' FREE. The show starts at 9 PM.
Tuesday, May 20
Tuesday is voting day. Did you vote?
- Speaking of which, Mississippi Studios is having a Democratic Primary Watch Party. The thing is basically a big hangout/ BBYOF (bring your own food) BBQ thing. Which will also have live updates on the Primary Race. It will feature the music of Jack Straw and Sarah King and more starting at 8 PM. The FREE event is set to last from 5 PM. until 10 PM.
- Gabriel Darling, the sometime CIMTB contributor, is having a B-day Soiree at Someday Lounge! Basically it is The Incubator, which she normally hosts with the addition of celebrating her birth. I will definitely be stopping by to play some songs as Meyercord. Who knows who else will be performing. Or what they will be performing for that matter. It is an open stage after all. This is a FREE event. Things get underway at 9 PM.
- Valentine's is having a show featuring one of my faves, Carcrashlander along with some bands I don't know: Sea Caves, and Themes (Minnesota). This bad boy is FREE. The thing starts at 9 PM.
- Or if you are in North or NE, you might just want to check out who ever decides to play the Zilla Sake Open mic hosted by Y La Bamba. It usually has several stand out performances. This FREE event happens every Tuesday at 8 PM.
Wedndesday, May 21st
Wednesday is easy:
- Mississippi Pizza is having Kristin Diable (Brooklyn) play. I don't know who that is but, Annie Bethancourt is playing. She has one of those "I can't believe that a real person in front of me is singing like that" good voices. And the last time I saw her she had written some very good songs. I will be there. The show starts at 9 PM.
So that is what I have for you until Wednesday. Hopefully I will have the rest of the week for you up on the site by tomorrow.
If you see me at any of these shows come up and say Hi.
Gabriel Darling Turns Older this Tuesday at the Someday Lounge. Or does She?
photo by Gabriel Darling