Sunday, October 19, 2008

Ben Meyrecord's Live Music Picks for October 19th

Hello Dear Readers,

I am back. And I just noticed that I have been back for almost a week. I have already missed quite a few shows. Damn. Anyway today there are some more shows I might miss as well. Or maybe not? Tell you what, why don't you go to one of these shows and find out if I'm there.

Sunday, October 19th

I got four shows to list for you.

Valentine's is having a wonder full line up of a bunch of a good ol' local acoustic based songwriting folks in the form of Love Menu, Jacob White,and Audie Darling. I have played with and seen Love Menu a few times now and like what I have heard of her well arranged folk pop songs (I haven't picked up her Dub Narcotic recorded CD yet, but there is always tonight). Jacob White seems to be a very promising Portland talent. I would keep my eye on him. I have played with Audie Darling once but it was a criminally short set. Hopefully this one is longer. This show will start at 9 PM and is FREE.

There also a FREE show at Rontoms. They do free shows on Sunday nights pretty frequently as does Valentine's. So if you are ever hankerin' for a free show on a Sunday night, I suggest checking out either of these fine establishments. Tonight Rontom's has local Jazz out fit Blue Cranes doing a set following local Bacharachian popster Alan Singley and his Pants Machine. Rumour have it that his pants machine has gotten quite large (i.e. more members) I would say it is well worth you $0. This show starts at 9:30 PM.

Some of you may or may not (I was not) be aware of Epanded Frames, "celebration and examination of critical cinema past, present, and future." that has been going on for the past several days here in Portland. But if you are not aware, they are having a closing night party at The Cleaners (part of the Ace Hotel) with some of our local music talent providing the entertainment. Evolutionary Jass Band, Tara Jane O'Neil, and Sad Horse. Evolutionary Jass Band is probably the my favorite Jass Band in town. TJO makes beautiful music that is part folkish (with electric guitar) part experimental (lots of looping and such) with out really sound too much like either. Sad Horse are a local two piece that play loud, fast and consice rock music. All the Proceeds go to Cinema Project. The show is $10 (or free if you have a ticket stub of a Expanded Frame event) and starts at 10:30 PM.

Doug Fir is having a show with Seattle's Say Hi (formerly, named Say Hi to Your Mom) tonight. I think that this band has some good songs, and a lot of okay songs. The main reason I mention this show is that local "they will be huge" band Hockey is opening. If you have not seen or heard Hockey this is your chance to do so. You will not regret it (unless of course you hate fun). This show is $10 and starts at 9 PM.

So seriously any of these shows will do you good.

-Ben


Hockey plays the Douglas Fir Tonite!

No comments: