You go to any those shows I suggested? I did. I just wanted to say that I thought Jacob White was really good. he plays on a nylon string that has a warm sound that goes very well with his vocals. Check it out if you like the americana genre.
Anyway there are a lot of good shows going on this week. Here are some more for you to see.
Wednesday, October 29th
There is some cool stuff is happening today. Seriously.
- Every Wednesday in October, the Laurelthirst Public House is having Two Beer Veirs in which Laura Veirs (with Chris Funk and Annalis Tornfelt) play old timey country songs. As you may have noticed, this is the last Wednesday of the month. If you miss this Two Beer Veirs, you miss it...FOREVER. It is FREE and starts at 6 PM.
- The White Eagle is having a good show tonight as well. Check it out, Super XX Man, John Vecchiarelli, and Justin Power will all be playing sets. All of these dudes make really good music that leans towards more "soft" music (or rather not "Hard"). I mean to say that even this music may seem kind of like wuss music, it often very good wuss music. I have heard the name Justin Powers from many people since moving here, I think lately I have him run sound for some of the better local bands. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the man can also write a good tune. This show is FREE and starts at 8 :30 PM.
- Over at Holocene the Brooklyn band, Asobi Seksu will be playing in all of their spacey pop glory. And to make things even better, local acts Double Dutch and Chrome Wings will be opening the show. Double Dutch has members of Eskimo and Sons (RIP) and Typhoon both of which are under the Boy Gorilla umbrella. And if you don't yet know, anything under that umbrella is pretty much golden. This group is no exception. Chrome Wings makes spacey instrumental rock (Check out their song "Sea Realms" on their myspace page, its so pretty). This show is $8 and starts at 9 PM.
- Rererato is having a show with Modernstate, The Heliogoats (Chicago), and Travis Wiggins (of PSOTV but does something totally different under his own name). This is a pretty solid line up that will not treat you wrong. Plus remember this is one of the last shows Rererato will do. Ever. The ALL AGES show starts at 7 PM and will accept donations for a cover (suggested $4).
Thursday, October 30th
Lots of shows are going down on All Hallow's Eve Eve (night before Halloween). It is also last Thursday so I am sure there is bunch of stuff going on on Alberta, but these are the shows I am interested in.
- For those of you who are not in the know, I play bass in the Instrumental post-rock band AristeiA. I just wanted to let any one who is interested, that we are palying tomorrow night at Hawthorne Theater. Come see me rock the bass (I have heard that my bass face is something fierce, or at least I would like to hear that). There are also some other really top notch bands sharing the bill. Cyrus Fell Down is a band who we discovered while on tour. We convinced them to come down from Washington to play this show. I hope you come because their live show is not to be missed. The very friendly The Friendly Skies are also playing. You should come out and check and get their very pretty 7" record. The ALL AGES show is $8 and starts at 8 PM.
- The Wonder Ballroom has started to put on more local shows lately. I believe that KPSU has started presenting a $5 for 5 dollars show monthly series. Thursday is the first one of these and it is a good one. Southerly, Tango Alpha Tango, Swim Swam Sum, Deer or the Doe, and Colt Vista. It is a large and largely diverse show. All of these bands are good. This show is, as was indicated, only $5 and starts at 8 PM (it should be noted that while Wonder Ballroom is usually ALL AGES, this show is 21+).
- Over at Alberta Street Public House, Chervona and Down South Sallie will be performing a show. I am not familiar with Chernova, but good lord is Down South Sallie good. There is no cover listed, so it might be FREE. The show starts at 9 PM.
- The Know is having a show on Thursday just down the street from Alberta Street Pub. This show will feature the very psychedelic The Pink Snowflakes and instrumental-rawk band Doctor Moss will be playing sets. This show is FREE and supposedly starts at 8 PM.
AristeiA will be doing their Epic thing on Thursday at Hawthorne Theater
photo by Patrick Swinnea