Monday, June 9, 2008

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks from June 9th to June 15th

Dear Readers,

How are you? I'm fine thanks. I saw some shows last week and I will surely see some more this week. Does this intrest you? Perhaps you are wondering, "What does Ben Meyercord want to see, local music wise this week?". Perhaps it is now more along the lines of, "I wonder if Ben Meyercord really thinks that I a think about him?" The answer would be yes, by the way. But I am afraid that I am getting away from the point of this blog post, so I will now rattle off a list of bands and shows.


Monday, June 9th

Honestly there isn't a ton of shows going on but there are these two.

  • Holocene is having the band Annuals (not to be confused with Band of Annuals) play tonight. Thats kinda cool. I have their fist 7" and its pretty cool (I realize how cliche this statement is, Whatevs). The great thing about it is that two really good local bands are opening. They are Musee Mechanique and A Weather. If you have read this blog at all, you probably know that I think A Weather are top notch. I have not seen Musee Mecanique, but I like what I have heard on myspace. Plus I have been meaning to see them for what seems forever. I will be at this show. The cover is $10. The show starts at 9 PM.

Tuesday, June 10th

I gotta be honest, the show that I am most interested in is not local. Russian Circles is playing at Doug Fir. They are awesome. But here is what is happening locally (still not very much happening).
  • Zilla Sake is having its weekly open mic tonight. Hosted by Y La Bamba, this open mic has had some pretty solid entertainers. This Tuesday should be no exception. Plus I have said it before and I will say it again. Try the curry. It is so good. The sign up sheet is at 7:30 Pm. The Music starts at 8 PM.

Wednesday, June 11th

The music week seems to step it up, as far as quantity goes, on Wednesday. See:

  • Slabtown is a venue that I have only been to once, like about four years ago. I was just talking to my friend the other day about this place and how we have never really seen a show there. Wednesday offers me the perfect excuse to check it out. The Morals, Test Audiences, and MBilly are all playing a show there. I love a Morals show. It is an organic event with no setlists and no apologies (though I think I recall an excuse or two). Just two guys, one guitar, one harmonica and a whole mess of songs. Plus I have been wanting to see MBilly for a while. It's absolutely FREE! The show starts at 9 PM.
  • Holocene is having a show with Perhapst, Norfolk and Western, and Two Beers. This looks like it will be like a good bill Perhapst appears to have combined the word perhaps with the cheapest beer in town. If they are this innovative with their band name, then they must be crazy innovative with their music. Two Beers doesn't seem clever, but it does seem straight forward. I gotta give them props for that. I have not seen Norfolk and Western in years. I liked what saw then, and I am hoping to like what they are up to lately. I actually, haven't heard of the other two bands. I just read on the Perhapst page that the man guy, John Moen, used to drum for Elliott Smith and was a Jick (of the Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks). Does that interest anyone? This show is $8. The show starts at 9 PM.
  • Berbati's Pan is having an interesting show on Wednesday. It has Portlanders and Canadians. The Canadians are in the form of the band Rock Plaza Central (pretty rock name, right?). They play americana according to their myspace page. Then you have two Portland bands Portugal. The Man, and Tractor Operator. Update Portugal. The Man no longer reps Portland. I am not exactly sure how ling ago this occured. Anyway, I have often thought of Portugal. The Man as kinda like The Mars Volta. I am not completely sure why. Listen to their music and tell me if I they are even in the same ball park. Tractor Operator is the moniker Eric Jensen uses to play his songs. The last time I saw him it was just him and a guitar. Who knows, by know he might have an orchestra backing him (I saying that sometimes I don't keep up with bands. Bands, I am sorry). This Mike Thrasher presented show is $10 in advance and $12 at the door which are at 8 PM.
  • I would be remiss if I didn't mention the Wow and Flutter show at Rotture. Mostly because Blue Cranes are playing too. I still have not seen them play. I know I'd enjoy it. I know I would. SO why do I keep missing their shows? It truly baffles me. You may notice that this is the same line up that they played their CD release show a month ago. Friends? There is a $5 cover. The doors are at 9 PM.

Thursday, June 12th

We got shows with loads of bands on their bill. Today you have the option of seeing music from noon until like 1 AM. Awesome.
  • The other show that has a lot of bands is taking place at backspace. This one is a "Sam Cooper CD Release/Tour Kickoff/Birthday show and charity:water benefit" show put on by backspace and KPSU. Besides Sam Cooper,we have Autopilot is for Lovers, Porches, Tchotchkes, and Icarus Root playing sets. Charity:Water sounds like a worthy cause. Click on the link if you don't believe me. The cover is $5-$20 depending on how generous you are feeling. The ALL AGES show starts at 7 PM.
  • There is also the PDX Pop Now! 2008 CD release party at Holocene. This is a cool show because not only do you get to see four awesome bands, you get a copy of the CD before it is available in stores. Sweet. Yacht, Fist Fite, Southern Belle, White Fang, and DJ Manny Lennox will be sharing their tunes. If you don't know these bands, check them out. There is a $10 (seeing as to how you get a $7, the cover is more like $3 after you rationalize). The show starts at 9 PM.
  • Doug Fir is also having a really cool show. The only reason I leave it for my las entry on Thursday is because it is mostly out of towners. Basically anticon affilliated Dosh and Athello who "blends trippy neo-psychedelic guitar pop with a fully integrated horn section, layers of keyboards, and masses of hand percussion" (Stewart Mason, All Music) are touring together. On Thursday they are having Portland's, also anticon affiliated, Cars and Trains will be playing a set. I saw him play at East End earlier this month and was very impressed by his live loop based beats and song structures. There is a $10 cover. The show starts at 9 PM.

Friday, June 13th

It's Friday the 13th, yo. Are you afraid of bad luck? I'm not all that concerned, but you might want to check out one of these shows for good luck.

  • The Coop (3535 N Lombard, Portland, OR) is having a show featuring the following PDX rawk bands: Bodhi, Slow Fires, David Evan and His New Band, and Holy Smokes!!!!!!!. I am familiar with David Evan and nobody else (playing this show). But this is one of those shows that I can reccomend based on the strength of one band. So check it out. There is a whopping $2 cover chanrge, The ALL AGES shows starts at 8 Pm.
  • Exit Only, another ALL AGES oasis, is having a show with White Fang, ...Worms, Chrome Wings, and Tyrants. These bands are a little bit more experimental than the ones happening at The Coop. So if you like it a little less conventional check this show out. I am unsure of the cover, but I would say it is about $cheap. The show starts at 8 PM.
  • Slabtown is having a show featuring a band I have listed before based on name alone, Lasers All the Time. I still have not seen or listened to them, but I still think it is a great name. Plus they are playing with this band Hockey, who I have been hearing about but have not seen yet. Shim (Seattle), a very modest band name (too modest?) for a band who is of the Rock/Rock/Rock genre, is playing too. Update I have seen their band photo and logo. They are Rock. The show has a $6 cover. The show starts at 9 PM.

Saturday, June 14th

People are a whole lot less concerned about Saturday the 14th. So you can relax take in a local show. There are plenty of them going on. See:

  • The Aladdin Theater is one of the best places to take in a relaxed show. I have seen many a quiet act their and been thankful that I was in a seated venue. But this Saturday there is, what I would think would be, a dance show with The Blow and Glass Candy providing the music. It will be interesting to see if people try to dance in the tiny space between their seat and the row in front of them. There is a $13 to $14 cover. The ALL AGES show starts at 8 PM sharp.
  • Guess who's turning one on Saturday. You're right, Rererato is. Come celebrate as they are throwing a one year anniversary show. It looks pretty action packed as they will have films (Baby Bird (made by Rererato owners Adam Keller and Stephanie Simek), Eric Ostrowski (Seattle), and Tripper Dungan), music (Nat Andreini & Jayson Wynkoop, Rainbow and the Kittens, and Merce Cunningham Duo), performances (Shane Pixiestorm, Alyson Provax, and Cyrus Smith (the flier is vague about what kind of performances)), and photos (by my friend David Kyle). Action Packed! This event will be webcast too. I see no cover listed but bring your moneys anyway (cause you never know). The event starts at 6 PM.
  • Speaking of Rererato, last Friday I saw a show there that featured Double Plus Good. He was pretty good. Check it out, he is playing at Towne Lounge with Benjamin Bear, and Design.Drift.Distance. I have wanted to see Design.Drift.Distance since the las time I wrote about them. They list some pretty awesome influences. What can I say? I'm interested. The show is $5. The music starts at 9:30 PM.
  • The Artistery is having a show with Junkface, and Eskimo & Son. I have heard nothing but good things about Junkface and I like what I have heard from Eskimo & Son, so this show definately peaks my interest. This show is ALL AGES and $6 (most Artistery shows are ALL AGES and $6). The show starts at 8 PM.
  • The Ivy House (117 Ne Ivy St, Portland, OR) is having a CD release for Hey, Tiger! with Your HeartBreaks (Seattle) and Crows Feet. Lets hear it for acoustic punk rock! The show is ALL AGES and will set you back $5.

Sunday, June 15th

While I am tempted by some of the national acts coming through on Sunday (Old 97's (a favorite of mine back in highschool), Styrofoam (a favorite of mine in college)), I am not here to talk about those shows. I want to support the local Portland "scene". Besides, these local shows are really good.

  • Valentine's has an awesome show consisting of Tara Jane O'Neal, Saw Whet. Good Lord, this is a good show. Everyone of these artists are just phenomenal. Seriously. This is where I will be. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.
  • Towne Lounge is having a show with Nick Caceres just in case you missed him at Backspace on Saturday. This time he is playing with a guy named Sean Wagner. It is part of Towne Lounge's 2 bands 2 Bucks series. It is pretty self-explanatory, but the cover is $2. The music starts at 9:30 PM.

So there I have laid out another show going guide for you. What did I leave out? There is always a chance I have

overlooked something. As always, if you see me at any of these shows let know by saying hello.

-Ben


Nick Caceres plays his heart out, both Saturday (Backspace) and Sunday Night (Towne Lounge).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

ben. i can NOT believe you mentioned the show you saw last friday without mentioning CHURCH!!
(http://www.myspace.com/songforcecrystal)

i believe they are the most fantastic portland band I have seen during my time here (for my taste, that is).
and you know you are enamored with them, too. in my book, these guys run circles around the popular pdx bands right now. thank you for exposing me to them before it was too late!
no really, thank you.
steph

Ben Meyercord said...

Steph-- I know. Church was hands down the best show I saw last week. In fact, yesterday I went down to Tender Loving Empire and picked up their full length CD. It has several of the songs that they played on Friday. It is so good.

Ben Meyercord said...

Hey guess what gang? Perhapst just was featured in Pitchfork's Forkcast section. People be loving Portland for real.

Anonymous said...

Hey Ben, the Mississippi Street Fair isn't happening until JULY 12th. We mistakenly posted it on the Mercury's website a month early. Oops!

Anonymous said...

I think my brain's gonna explode this Saturday. With this plethora of prestigious productions, how will I ever choose the right show(s) to attend?

Veteran Status said...

Hey just stumbled upon this blog...looks interesting...do many people read?...do you just deal with portland bands or whats the deal? Stop by and read ours if you are interested...just happens to be from a crappy indie band..

PC-PDX.com said...

Heya! David Evan is indeed fantastic, Uberfantastiche as it were! The Coop also just added CIMTB fav's WESTFOLD to the show on Saturday night to the intoxicating line up of William Carpenters Towering Trees and Swallows.

We hope some of the CIMTB crew makes it down and we all finally get to hang out and break down these wired walls between us. Thanks and MUCH love, PC-PDX | The Coop