Monday, June 23, 2008

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for June 23rd to June 29th

Hello Dear Readers,

Good Lord, last week was ridiculous for me. I ended up playing five shows. I think I only saw one show I didn't play. That was the Per Se show at Doug Fir. I love her songs. But I really wish St Goldie was there for the second band, Sophie Lux. They put on a performance that was like a
musical. They were all wearing white. The drummer had on a viking helmet. The keyboardist had a helme with antlers on it and a white wig underneath. The bass player had a big white fur lined cape and some sort of animal mask. The guitar player had a disco ball material ascot. The violinist was dress like a airline attendant. It was kinda great. I am pretty sure that Goldie would love this band.

Anyways, there are a lot of good shows this week, including one good post-rock show for every day of the weekend.

Monday, June 23rd

There is not a whole lot that I am interested in locally. I might check out Hayden at the Aladdin Theater, but am most tempted by RZA at Hawthorne Theater (thats gonna be crazy).

  • The one show that I would be interested in seeing is Gregory Miles Harris at White Eagle. Daniel Johnston had him open both shows him when he played in Portland last. I guess I am just curious about his indie-pop. James Coates opens the show. Besides, it is part of the Pop Tomorrow series which means its FREE.

Tuesday, June 24th


You have quite a lot to choose from if you want to see a local show.

  • The one I think I want to see the most is at Holocene, where AU will be having a CD release show for their new album Verbs. I think the experimental pop that they create is pretty cool. But what I am really excited about is the Parenthetical Girls. I love the endogenous delicate pop that those "girls" make. Ah Holly Fa'mly opens. I really want to see their set too. The show is $6 at the door. There show starts at 9 PM.
  • Pix Patisserie (North) is having its Guitar Pix show with acoustic indie-popper Super XX Man that they have every last Tuesday of the Month. I was talking to Brianne (Tender Loving Empire) and she was saying that the new Super XX Man album that will be coming out is really good. I trust her taste in music and so should you. Josh Nielson will be opening up. The show is ALL AGES and FREE. It starts at 8 PM.
  • Chaos Cafe will be having a sweet show on Tuesday too. Flote (a modern flute quartet), Homesick Elephant(LA), and Down South Sallie are all all playing. While I am not all that familiar with Flote or Homesick Elephant, I know that Nick Ceceres and Down South Sallie are great. Nick Ceceres plays well honed folk. His new band Gratitillium is going to put out a CD on the Tender Loving Empire label. He is also featured on the PDX Pop Now! 2008 compilation. Down South Sallie has an incredible voice. It is like she is channeling the voice of Buddy Holiday or something. She is well worth seeing. The show is well worth seeing. It is ALL AGES and FREE (unless of course you want to do the right thing and tip the touring band). The show starts at 8 PM.
  • Valentine's is having a show with Ora Cogan (Vancouver, B.C.), Marisa Anderson, and Kele Goodwin. I have seen the name Ora Cogan before, I have never heard of Marisa Anderson (that I can recall), but I love Kele Goodwin's music. He writes hushed and delicate folk music that totally sounds like Nick Drake (a very good thing). Update! Marisa Anderson plays guitar in CIMTB fave Evolutionary Jass Band (she also apparently plasy ambient folk). So it would appear to be folk night at Valentine's if you like folk check it out, if not I suggest you stay clear. The show is FREE. It starts sometime after 9 PM.
  • When I played at Valentine's last week a girl came up to me after the show and introduced herself as Kristin and told me she was going to be playing at Ash Street. She plays under the name Sunshine. It is kinda of trippy folk. I am not sure what she would sound like live, but it might be cool. Soft Morning City, and Match Castashadow (New Orleans) also will be playing this FREE show. The music starts at 9:15 PM.
  • And of course there is always the open mic at Zilla's hosted by Y La Bamba. It is FREE and starts at 8 PM.

Wednesday, June 25th


There are only two shows that I was interested in.
  • The Someday Lounge is having a CD release party for Rollerball's newest album. Just ask St Goldie how good they are. I am sure she would love to unload her opinion of them onto you. You know that you are great when Goldie thinks you're good. The Someday Lounge usually writes up little summaries of all of their shows. This what they said about this one. "Portland Oregon's Rollerball are the very definition of a cult band. Their image is shrouded by aliases & self sustained mystique and their discography packed with hidden gems and genre warping artistry. In the decade plus since Rollerball first formed, this highly prolific family of musicians have conjured up staggering amount of recorded material; 12 full lengths albums, another dozen eps and singles and countless compilation appearances. Whether slipping between vampy cabaret numbers, horn drenched future-funk or pulsing darkwave melodrama, Rollerball always pushes their ideas and musicianship to the edge and beyond. Tonight celebrates the release of their newest album, AHURA, available through Italian label, Wallace Records." Vilka (France) and Powernap will also be playing sets. The show is $6. It starts at9 PM.

Thursday, June 26th


There are some shows on Thursday. These are the ones I want to attend.
  • Holocene is having a benefit (Benefit of the week alert!) for Umbrella. You may ask yourself, "What is Umbrella and why should I support it or give my money to benefit it?" To which I would answer, "Umbrella is just the name of the event where $2 of your admission goes to Planned Parenthood and Rock 'n' Roll Camp for Girls." I might also add that Sad Horse, Sarah Winchester (of A Weather), Sarah Dougher, Janet Pants, Matress, Rush-N-Disco, TJO, and DJ Mike McGonigaln (founder of Yeti Magazine and co-founder of Halleluwah Fest). The last time I saw Sarah Winchester play was at Holocene benefiting her bandmate Louis Thomas. She has a really distinct smokey voice that just gets me every time. TJO is alwasy great. I saw Sad Horse play at Holocene once too. They are a pretty fun/loud two piece consisting of drums guitairs, and vocals. It should be a blast regardless. You may donate the suggested $5 or go all the way to $10 (or whatever you feel like giving). The show starts at 9 PM.
  • Speaking of Louis Thomas, one of the bands he plays in , Chores, is playing on Thursday as well. They are playing a show with Les Faneurs at the Alleyway Cafe. Both bands seem to share a energetic quirky rock sound. It should be fun. Especially since it is FREE. The show starts at 6 PM.

Friday, June 27th

There are many good shows. I normally would be conflicted, except...
  • I am playing in AristeiA along side CIMTB faves Westfold and The Hand That Bleeds (post-rockers Nannda Devi were set to play, They are awesome, but had to drop out). This is the first of three awesome post-rock shows. AristeiA is instrumental and awesome (think blissful noise). Westfold is one of the best Portland rock bands in my opinion. This show is happening at Kelly's Olympian. It will probably blow your mind. You really can't lose. The show is probably $5. The music starts at 10 PM.
  • What kills me is that there is a show happening at The Waypost that I really want to see. It is The Fields at Night, Orange Jam, Jordaan Mason (Toronto), and Shelby Sifers. I know nothing of the first two performers, but God do I love Jordaan Mason's music, and God do I love Shelby Sifers' music too. I wish I could be there too. There is no cover listed but bring money for CDs. The ALL AGES show starts at 8 PM.
  • The Towne Lounge is also having a show of note. The Subcons are playing a show with Quiet by Ten, and The Ascetic Junkies. I first heard of The Subcons when I was supposed to play a show with them. I remember thinking how strange it was that I haven't heard of them (because it was really good). Unfortunately, they ended up not being able to play the show. More unfortunate though, is that I haven't been able to see them play yet. Let me say this, they have a lap steel and sometimes pedal steel guitarist. If you know that sound then you are probably sold (lap steel/pedal steel sounds sooooo good). This show is $5 at the door. The music starts at 9:30.
  • The Red Room is a nice little oasis on 82nd (FREE Guitar Hero and Nintendo). It has a nice atmosphere and you neve know who might play there. For instance, David Evan and band may play there with some bands I don't know. Bands like Geographer (CA) and Bad Trees. If you like well penned tunes about assassins and chickens boys. I suggest you come to this show. It is FREE (all Red Room shows are FREE). The show starts at 9 PM.

Saturday, June 28th

There are some really great shows tonight. Luckily I don't have to make any choices because...

  • I am playing a show as Meyercord with Leonard Mynx and Telescope Eyes at Chaos Cafe. This should be a good time. I don't know what to say about my music except that I think you might like it? Leonard Mynx on the other hand I would say makes really nice Americana/Folk. He describes the songs as "ambitiously optimistic, yet fearful.". I like the sound of that. I have written about him before (even in this post). But this will be my first time to see him play. "Beach Boy "woo-hoos" meld with shimmering, reverb-drenched guitar lines to quilt a trip-pop excursion that proves a fine soundtrack for the emerging Portland summer." - Casey Jarman (of Local Cut) said of Telescope eyes. Sounds pretty good to me. The show is FREE. It is ALL AGES so it starts at 8 PM.
  • The Second kick ass Post-Rock show of the weekend is also happening at Kelly's Olympian. This time around The Friendly Skies, You May Die in The Desert, and We're from Japan!. The Friendly Skies are coming back from a Summer tour. You should check out the loop-crazy dou's 7 inch (its swirled color vinyl!). Plus We're From Japan just never ceases to amaze me. Check out their myspace page because they just added a song, "Black Bag Work", from their forth coming album, Now Breathe. It kicks it up a couple notches. The show will cost you $5 and starts at 10 PM.
  • The Aladdin has some of the best quality shows in town. It is always nice when the quality comes from home. Like Saturday Night's Weinland, Norfolk & Western, and A Weather show. All of these bands are incredible and are from Portland. Wanna know what else, besides being based out of Portland, these bands have in common? All of the bands were recorded by Norfolk & Western front man Adam Selzer at his Type Foundry recording studio. They are also all very good, but I think I mentioned that before. The ALL AGES show is $12. The music starts at 8 PM sharp.
  • An ALL AGES show in a smaller venue is happening at Artistery. Typhoon, Evolutionary Jass Band, and Eskimo & Sons are all playing. I have seen the first two bands listed and was honest to goodness blown away by both. Typhoon had about twelve members that make a rather large sound. Very Cool. The Evolutionary Jass band also has an impressive amount of members (I think eight) and make really cool Jazz based music. I have not heard much by Eskimos & Son but what I have heard was good. This ALL AGES show i s$6. The show starts at 8 pm.

Sunday, June 29th

There are two shows I am interested in. They are as follows:

  • The third of three Post-Rock shows I mention is happening at Holocene. This one has Strangers Die Every Day, Colt Vista, and AAN. All of these bands are Super good and unique. I would suggest checking out all of these bands. I am especially fond of SDED's string based instrumental rock. I think it is gorgeous. The show is $5 at the door. The show starts at 9 PM.
  • Mississippi Pizza is having a show with Melissa Ruth (Eugene), Emma Hill, and Down South Sallie. I am not familiar with Mellissa , but I know that Emma has good songs and as I told you earlier Down South Sallie has an incredible voice. Like I'm gonna go ahead and list her twice this week and would list her more if she were playing more shows. It is a FREE show (maybe some donations?). The show starts at 9 PM.

So there you have it an awesome week for shows. I hope you make it out to some of them. Amd of course if you see me say

"Hi". Have a great week,

Ben


AristieA will not be so still on Friday at Kelly's. They will be loud and animated.
photo by Fense

6 comments:

swiss miss said...

i saw sophie lux many months ago when they opened for two ton boa... it was a show that was worth every dollar of admission... sophie lux rocks socks off.

also, i will be having me socks rocked off by westfold and aristiea on friday night... i can hardly wait!!

Anonymous said...

I third the Sophe Lux rave! I missed their latest show, though. I really need to catch them again sometime very soon.

Anonymous said...

...Also, I must wholeheartedly endorse the Last Thursday show at the Alleyway. Les Flaneurs and The Chores are two of the finest damn bands in town! I know I'm gonna be there, are you?!

Ben Meyercord said...

Dr. Something--I'm gonna try to be there.

Goldie Davich said...

I just added Sophie Lux to my friends on Myspace. Thanks for the recommend you guys!

So Friday is suppose to be 94 degrees... I think I am gonna have to go to the river before the Westfold / Aristeia show...

Anonymous said...

Just a note that my comment was addressed to all readers. Not wishing to be too overly cooercive toward just you, Ben, as you obviously have a busy music schedule. I'll definitely say 'hi' if I see you there, though.