Monday, August 29, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Monday August 29th

Hello Dear Readers,

You guys know what I write about. I write about Portland shows that happen in Portland, Or. I was at work all day, so this a bit later in the day than usual but Here are the shows that look good to me today:

Valentine's is having as how with Evan Way, Zach Tillman (Seattle), and Alina Hardin. Evan Way seems to be doing a good job of playing in his other band The Parson Red Heads and going it alone. It is a tough thing to do. Of course since The Red Heads will be heading out on the road very soon with Viva Voce. In the mean time catch a glimpse of his slightly less country music. While you're at it you can check out the lovely Alina Harding. She makes folk music in a more traditional sense than a lot of people who get bunched up in that genre. She has recorded her second album which had her "creating and experimenting with new sounds and melodies." I really enjoyed the sounds and melodies of her fist album I bet I will enjoy her second offering as well. Zach Tillman usually plays under the name Pearly Gate Music. But then again he usually plays with a band. That band sounds like maybe the little brother of Fleet Foxes which is kinda funny considering that Zach Tillman is the little brother of J Tillman of Fleet Foxes. This will be a great show. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Beauty Bar is having a show with Pocketknife and Charts. Indie pop is a curious thing. I think there will always be kids making it. This show is a perfect example of what I am talking about. Pocket Knife plays pop music with lots of electric organs that for what ever reason reminds me of 90's twee. Not to mention they have a song called Cotten Candy. Charts on the other hand reminds me of all the bands from the 80s that made pop music with loads a bit reverb and a bit of noise (I am thinking of Black Tambourine or something). Regardless they both would fall into indie pop and are going over well worn territory, yet I still enjoy both. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.
If you see me at any of these shows please say, "hi". That would be the decent thing to do.

Ben


Alina Hardin is playing at Valentine's tonight

No comments: