Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Tuesda, August 16th

Hello Dear Readers,

Yesterday instead of going to any shows, I went and saw X-men First Class. Man did I have mixed feelings on that movie. Anyway there are some shows going on tonight. Check it out:

Music Millennium is having an instore performance with The Parson Red Heads. They released their new album, Yearling, today. Yearling is usually a reference to a horse that has not quite reached maturity. This is a band that has been together for eight years. It is hard to imagine them getting their sound more mature than what I have heard of this album. They folk rock in the vein of when the Byrds were county influenced. It is also hard to imagine that the "Parson" in there name is not a s reference to Gram Parsons (the person who took The Byrds in their country direction). Anyway if you are a fan of really nice vocal harmonies and classic sounding songs, you should swing by this inshore. The ALL AGES show is FREE and starts at 6 PM.

Bunk Bar is having a show with Run On Sentence, Wooden Indian Burial Ground. I was so excited about this show that I accidentally wrote about it one week too early last Tuesday. This is what I said, "Run On Sentence is a band that is best appreciated in a live setting. I do not want to dissuade from their recorded material. But to see Dustin Hammond's voice fill a room is have his band take control of an audience is a magical thing. Speaking of his band the guitar player of the band, Justin Fowler, has his band Wooden Indian Burial ground releasing a new CD tonight. He used to play under this name a few years back. Then he started the band Hello Loneliness. Now he he is back to Wooden Indian Burial Ground with some help of the Run On Sentence/Loch Lomond rhythm section of Perry Pfister and Dan Galucki and some other friends. I could not be more pleased. It is rock and roll with some very Justin Fowler aesthetics. It sounds jammy and old and it is just really good." I stand by every word. The show is FREE and starts at 10 PM.

Valentine's is having a show with Denver and Hookers. I know what you are thinking. How can they fit the entire of state of Denver into that small of a space and still have room for call girls? Well sorry to disappoint but Denver is the name of a band of country rockers based right here out of Portland. They have many what I refer to as whiskey sorry songs. So as you may have guessed they lean heavy towards the country side of things. They often have four part harmonies. They have a sweet mandolin player and Eric Early (Blitzen Trapper) letting hot licks fly from his guitar. I honestly don't know anything about Hookers. I assume it is a band, but when I googled "Hookers Portland" nothing musical was found. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "hi". That would be awfully kind of you to do.

Ben


I was at this show. Denver are pretty fun to see live. You can do so tonight at Valentine's.

No comments: