Sunday, August 28, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Sunday, August 28th

Hello Dear Readers,

It has been awhile since I have seen a show. It has been crazy having to get up early in the morning. That being said, I have had plenty of time to blog about shows. Here are the ones happening today:

Doug Fir is having it's Sunday patio series with Denver and Kyle Morton. Denver is the country rock band with about five singers all in harmony. There is mandolin and guitar solos. Kyle Morton used to play under the name White Lighter. Oh, and he front Typhoon. I would imagine he might play some Typhoon songs, but the more exciting thing is that he might play new songs. I saw him play a few months ago almost solo (he had Danielle Sullivan singing harmonies). He is a great songwriter and it truly shows in these stripped down sets. The show is FREE and starts at 3 PM.

Bar Bar is having a show with Death Songs and Rememomry. Nicholas Delffs made a name for himself in The Shaky Hands. Not much has been done in that band since they played New Years. On the other hand Death Songs seems to playing out a lot more. It is good stuff. And one of the members of the band, Justin Power, is Remomory. I think. I mean when I clicked on the link from Mississippi Studios it went to Justin's myspace page. Sadly, his music is no longer on there. You can hear some of his songs backed by The Portland Cello Project on the Thao & Justin Power sessions.The show is FREE and starts at 4 PM.

Mississippi Studios is having a show with Oh Captain My Captain, Monoplane (Salem), and Gay Ghost. Oh Captain My Captain is one of Portland's most under appreciated bands in Portland. It is lead by Jesse Bettis. I used to think that hose voice sounded a lot like David Bazan, I often described the band as sounding like David Bazan fronting Dr Dog. I still think that will get you close to what they sound like. Monoplane is aindie rock band that seems to have been raised on the indie rock classics ie circa 1998 bands. Gay Ghost is a pop band formed by Joe Mormann who used to front The Glib. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

Rontoms is having a show with Monarques and Real Diamond. Monarques is a great throw back pop band. I haven't seen the current line up, but I think it no longer includes female backup singers. But I bet it still really fun. You don't get much more fun that early 60's pastiche. I am not sure but Real Diamond might be a Neil Diamond cover band. I can't confirm this but when I searched for Real Diamond this came up. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "hi". That would be the cool thing to do.

Ben


Kyle Morton will be playing this afternoon at Doug Fir

No comments: