Saturday, August 27, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Saturday, August 27th

Hello Dear Readers,

I played over seven hours of Monopoly while babysitting. Kids these days are crazy. I missed all shows that happened last night. Though I heard from a very credible source that the Blue Cranes show was really good. Anyways here are the shows happening tonight (not including Huey Lewis & The News at the Zoo). Check it out:

Hotcakes And Powell is having a show with Jordan O' Jordan (Olympia), Firs Of Prey, The Ocean Floor, Osito (Seattle), and DJ Selector Edmund. At first I did not see thread that connect these bands together. Then I saw that on the Electricity & Lust that Jordan o'Jordan, Girs of Prey , and The Ocean Floor all have records on that label. I heard of Jordan O'Jordan a long time ago. I have never seen him solo , but I have seen him perform as part of the excellent Polka Dot Dot Dot (also has records in Electricity and Lust). I met him too, he seemed a nice fellow. His is a nice mix of banjo and gentle crooning. Firs of Prey makes sweet songs that would do any of the Elephant Six proud. Plus I have seen footage of him doing some awfully sweet harmonizing with himself by way of looping pedal. I just wrote about The Ocean Floor the other day, but I will say it again. They are amazing. The ALL AGES show is by donation and starts around 8 PM.

Doug Fir is having a show with DoublePlusGood, XDS, and Wild Ones. This is part of Jack Daniels' "Black & Blue" series. It is also the CD release for DoublePlusgood's CD, Here They Come, The Birds of My Youth. If you have not heard it, you should click on that link. They are so poppy. In such good way. Much more than most bands who get pegged as electro-pop. XDS is a highly impressive art rock duo. If you have never seen a guitar with six outputs to six different amps while a drummer holds down a beat and a cassio at the same time, this is your chance. And I love Wild Ones. They are a great band who have been doing a great job of soundtracking my summer. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

The White Eagle is having a show with Jared Mees & the Grown Children. Jared Mees is a busy man. He helps run a store, a record label, and fronts a band. It is incredible that he gets anything done. But he does get stuff done. Including playing some of the most fun shows ever. The songs are al anthems and the energy is always high. The words are smart and the music makes you smile. The show is $6 and starts at 9:30 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "hi". That would be the nice thing to do.

Ben


DoublePlusGood will be releasing their new CD tonight at Doug Fir.

No comments: