So, the other night I saw the opening of OZ Cafe right next to Tender Loving Empire. I saw Yeah Great Fine which features ex-members of Newsapers who were super sweet. Then Jared Mees and his Grown Children played and let me tell you, they are fast becoming one of my favorite live bands to see here in town. And it ended with a snow tinged Boy Eats Drum Machine set. Seeing the flakes fall all around while bobbing my head to beat, it felt good to be alive. Which is to say that seeing live music can be life affirming. Speaking of which:
Monday, January 26th
Katy Perry is playing tonight at the Crystal Ballroom. Say what you will about her, I think she is hella cute and has catchty (niavely homophobic) songs that she can get away with because she is...well, hella cute. But if it is local you are looking for check these out:
- Doug Fir is having a show with Day of Lions, The Days and Le Switch (LA). Since the last time I saw Day of Lions, Gena has gotten a band together, married, and put out full length album. Which is to say that it has been too long since I have seen her (and her band) play. Having a band has added some meat to her former skeletal song structure. I am pleased to say that they work both ways. so if you like what I have heard of her before, then you will probaly really like her lastest album, "Come Down from the Mountain", and this would be the perfect place to pick it up. The show is $6 and starts at 9 PM.
- Valentine's is having a Pep Assembly show. Don Hellions will be playing too. I admit that I haven't seen Pep Assembly, but I know that I have been a fan of anything that Liam has done musically. The show is FREE and starts sometime after 9 PM.
Tuesday, January 27th
Umm... here are some shows for your consideration.
- I straight up copied and pasted this from an earlier post. I am not sure if I got the date wrong or if this is an encore performacne but, here it is anyway. I really want to see this. Electroacoustic artist Ethan Rose will be performing at Oaks Park Roller Rink for the release of his new album "Oaks" which is based around the use of the 1920's Wulitser organ located in the roller rink. It is presented by PICA and Holocene Music, so I bet that if one were to want more information, one could click on these links to find out more information. This will be one of two releases for Ethan this year. The other is a collaboration with Laura Gibson witch I cannot wait to hear. Anyways, the show is $10 for memebers and $12 for the general public. I should mention that the cover also includes skate rentals (sweet!). The ALL AGES event opens doors at 7 PM and starts at 8 PM.
- Valentine's is having a show with Pink Widower, Ay Claudia and Baby Dollars. I list this solely on the fact that I have seen some of these names around town and Valentine's is usually pretty spot-on on their bookings. Besides, the show is FREE. It is set to start sometime after 9 PM.
- Mississippi Pizza is having a show with Sean & Diana and The Ascetic Junkies are playing a show. Basically the other day my friend Sam Cooper was telling me I had to check out this band the Aesthetic Junkies. He has pretty good taste in music, so I am listing this show. If you think I have made a mistake in listing please direct complaints to him here. There is no cover listed and since it starts at 6 PM I bet you it is ALL AGES.
- The Wedgwood Manor is having a house show with some local hardcore. Cower, Skull Collector, and Tom Petersons Arme will all be playing sets. The show is ALL AGES and a mere $3. It is set to begin at 8 PM.
Wednesday, January 28th
Here are two really good shows to attend.
- Rotture is having a show with Reclinerland, Annie Vergnetti, and Super XX Man. I have yet to see Super XX Man despite my living in the same city with him and the band for like four years. Crazy. I remember hearing good things Reclinerland. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.
- Holocene is having an awesome show with Church, Chrome Wings and Guidance Counselor. Be there for real. Church is awesome. For Real. I keep missing Chrome Wings and hearing that I missed out. And Guidance Counselor puts the dance in guidance. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.
Say "Hi" if you see Me.
Day of Lions plays tonight at Douggie Fir