I blew it. I was on a roll going to shows, having a good time and then, it stopped. I am not sure what happened. Maybe it was the inauguration? Maybe it was the band practices, the band meetings. It was probably, the band practices and meetings.
Friday, January 23rd
There are some shows that I would not mind at all missing. In fact I think I would love to see any and all of these shows.
- The Hush is having a show with Blue Horns, Magic Bullets (San Francisco), Altspeak (Seattle). If you haven't seen or heard The Blue Horns yet then, you are missing out. They are super fun to see live. I haven't heard the record yet, but I am sure it worth your listen. The ALL AGES show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.
- The Waypost is having a show with Hello Loneliness (which is the natural progression of Wooden Indian Burial Ground), Shoeshine Blue, Pancake Breakfast. All of these bands are great. And its ALL AGES and its FREE. The show starts at 8 PM.
- I haven't been to the newest Disjecta . Tonight Sonny Smith will be playing some music. He apparently has a 7 " record that he has released. Evolutionary Jass Band and The Sandwitches (San Francisco) will also be playing sets. You know how much CIMTB loves that Jass Band. The show is $7 and starts at 8 PM.
- SMYRC (Sexual Minority Youth Resource Center) is having a show with the taxpayers, White Fang , We Play Quiet (Vancouver). This is a free benefit show to raise awareness for the center. The Taxpayers are also using the show as a CD release show. There is a CD compilation to benefit SMYRC. This is a FREE ALL AGES show that starts at 7:30 PM.
- Random Order, the excellent coffee house on Alberta, is celebrating National Pie Day with special prices and specialty cocktails, a pie raffle, and live music. The pies: new classic Lemon Meringue, tradewind sexy Banana Rum, and "Old World Apple Farm" Apple. The Music: Jacob Elliot, Y La Bamba (stripped down version), The Fantastic Lou Thomas, and Malcolm Rollick. The Price: FREE (that is, there is no cover to get in, but you do need to pay for anything eat or drink). The event starts 6:30 PM.
- Camp Rainbow, one of Portland's many "house venues", is having a show with Summer Blondes ( with members of Pegasus), Jeffery Jerusalem, Late Night Curly. Pegasus plays awesome mathy stuff, Jeffery makes some cool electronic based music, Late Night Curly plays zany pop music. If any of that interests you I would advise you to check it out. It is a going away party for Jeffery. The ALL AGES show is at 8 PM.
Saturday, January 24th
There are a lot of good shows happening on Saturday. See:
- Slabtown is having a show with The Morals, Paper Brain, AAN. I really like both the Morals, and AAN. A Morals show is always very entertaining. Man, I can't stop listening to the AAN CD I bought the last time I saw them. This show is $6-9 and starts at 9 PM.
- The Artistery is having a show with Breakfast Mountain, Temple Vibe (Seattle), and Guidance Counselor. If you like cool electronic based music at all, this is show for you. I have not seen Breakfast Mountain, but I like the CD. I have on the other hand, seen Guidance Counselor and it is super fun to see. The ALL AGES show is $6 and starts 8 PM.
- OZ Cafe (1720 NW Lovejoy, Suite 121) is having a Grand Opening Party with Jared Mees & The Grown Children, Boy Eats Drum Machine, and Yeah Great Fine. This is an awesome show. However, it is even more awesome when you find out that it is FREE. The ALL AGES show is at 8 PM.
- Green Dragon Bistro & Brewpub is having a show with Leigh Marble and Shoeshine Blue. I know that Shoeshine Blue is awesome live. And judging by the company that Leigh Marble keeps, he is probably pretty awesome live too. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.
- The Coop, the people who run the super sweet PC-PDX.com site, is having a show with some bands that I haven't heard in a while. Namely Bodhi, Southern Belle, Reporter, The Rainy States. Well, actually I saw Reporter the other week and they were in top top form. The ALL AGES show is $2 and starts at 8 PM.
- I just read a post from Rush-N-Disco. Check it out, "COME ON DOWN AND WITNESS THE EXCITING SPECTACLE THAT IS "SPECIAL PEOPLES CLUB" AT BRANX ON SATURDAY JAN 24TH FEATURING: SPECIAL PEOPLES BAND, ARMATRONIX, MATT VS KELLAN, SOLOMON, DJ. ALL THAT FOR JUST 3 DOLLARZ!? WOW". It seems like a great show. If you have not seen Rush-N-Disco, you need to. It is an experience. The show is $3 and starts at 10 PM.
Sunday, January 25th
Some real good shows are happening on Sunday. Some of them are FREE.
- Crystal Ballroom is having a Birthday Celebration. Crystal Ballroom is 95 years old this year. To celebrate Blitzen Trapper, Blue Giant, Greensky Bluegrass, Garcia Birthday Band, Boka Marimba, Marysville Marimba Band, Still Pending, and Girls Rock and Roll Camp. Thats a lot of bands for one show. The show is FREE. And it is also a long show. The ALL AGES show starts at 1 PM and lasts until 12 AM.
- Rotture is having a show with Eagle & Talon (LA), Swallows and Grey Anne. Though I am not too familiar with the other two bands, I know that Grey Anne is great. She has played a lot this month and I have already missed a few times. But I have regretted every show I missed because every Grey Anne show is an experience (a good one). She works the looping pedal like you wouldn't believe. The show is $6 and starts at 9 PM.
- Doug Fir is having "Tony Rogers, founder of the Portland Cello Project returns to Portland to orchestrate, “Cellos and Choirs” a collaborative show featuring classical, popular, and original works combining members of the Portland Cello Project and two of the premiere A cappella groups from the Portland Area¬– the “classical man band” Four Score and The Roxy consort, an all-female classical chorale.". The Ahs will perform as well.
- Rontoms as always, is having a great show this Sunday. This one has the line up of pals is having a darn good folk show with Galveston and Golden Spun. I have not seen either of these bands, but I have heard what they have to off via myspace and its good. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.
So thats it for the shows this week. I hope you make it out to some of them. If you do, please say, "Hi".
White Fang @ PDX Pop Now!!! Pt. 2 from DJBunnyEars on Vimeo.
This is the performance where I realized White Fang was awesome. Catch them tonight at SMYRC