Monday, January 5, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for January 5th to January 8th

Hello Dear Readers,

How are you? Do you remember me? I used to tell you about all the great local shows going on in Portland. Well I am back. After taking some time off (ie I have been working a week straight with no computer), and failing to report some really great shows that have been going on in our town. And failing to see said shows, I think I am able to get myself together enough to start doing this again. That being said I did make it to one show in 2009 and it was hands down the best show I have attended all year. It was Ben Barnnet (ex-Kind of Like Spitting), David J. (of Novi Split, and ex-Kind of Like Spitting), and Sean Bonnette of Andrew Jackson Jihad all played a shared set at the Artistery and it was amazing. All the songwriting was top notch. There were also several covers that were also top notch. If I only had two words to describe it, I would say "top notch?". Anyway then I went into hermit mode (which for me is not too much different than regular mode). So here is what is going on this week.

Monday, January 5th

Hmmm... I could only find one show that looks interesting.

Which is to say I have seen the name Symmetry/Symmetry around town. Sleepwalk Kid is also playing. Alls I know is that they list Centro-Matic as an influence. They are one of my all time favorite bands so good on them for having good taste. The show is at White Eagle Saloon and starts at 8:30 PM. Its FREE!

Tuesday, January 6th

Okay. This can't be right. I don't see any shows that I am interested in on Tuesday. Please tell me that I am mistaken and that there is some sort of good show happening somewhere.

Wednesday, January 7th

Okay here are some shows:

The Press Club is having a show with Super XX-man, John Vecchiarelli, and Mike Johnson (I am not sure which one, there are like a million Mike Johnsons). This will be pretty sweet. I think I will try to make this show. Check out the mid-tempo greatness of Super XX-man's latest album on Tender Loving Empire and tell me that you wouldn't want to bob your head, perhaps stomp your foot, and sing along. Plus I have been meaning to see John Vecchiarelli for like forever. The price is right at FREE. THe show starts at 8 PM.

The Fez Ballroom will hosting Gregory Miles Harris and his (maybe?) buddies The Bits, and By Sunlight. Indie-pop Indie-rock, Whatevs. Check it out. The show is $5 and the doors are at 9 PM.

Doug Fir will be host to a "Log Love Winter Wednesday" with Brad Makeson, Tango Alpha Tango, and Deepest Darkest. Basically I am only familiar with Tango Alpha Tango and I like what I have familerized myself with of the band. They have the ability to rock or not rock while maintaining a level awesome that most bands find difficult to achieve. Looks like Deepest Darkest has ex-members of the band The Carolines and a current member of Derby. Also it looks as though Brad will be using the show as an oppourtunity to premiere his new album. The show is a mere $6 and starts at 9 PM.

Thursday, January 8th

If you have $55-$120 to blow (or know the right person to blow) I suggest you see Neil Diamond Tonight at the Rose Garden. However, I believe there are other shows in a "poorer" price range to be seen this Thursday as well. Check it.

Doug Fir will have a Blue Cranes show with Celilo and The Physical Hearts. Blue Cranes are a jazz band that I am consistently writing about and then missing their show. Practice what I preach. Not what I do (or don't do rather). Go to the show if you like things a bit "jazzy".

Valentine's is having an art show of E*rock's drawings. If you stick around, you can also see him play E*rock music too. Josh Kermiet will also be doing some music. Its FREE, yo! The thing starts at 8 PM.

Kelly's Olympian is having a show with one of my favorites Grey Anne. She is so good. FOR REALZ. If you must, you may also check out the bands athat are opening, My Darling Boy, and Crow Canyon, but I am sold at Grey Anne. The show is $5 and starts at 10 PM.

Why i must be careful is playing a show at The Armory aka the Gerding Theater aka where Portland Center Stage is located aka where the plays and stuff are at. If you like somewhat crazed spazzy experimental jazz jamz, this is for you. The price has yet to be determined but it should be cool. The performance starts at 6:30 PM.


That's All I got for now. So if you see me say "Hi".

-Ben


Why I must be Careful examines a steel drum. Carefully. They play on Thursday at a classy joint called The Armory.

No comments: