Thursday, January 15, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for January 15th and 16th

Hello Dear Readers,

Let me just say that seeing live music is awesome. I also want to mention that living in Portland, we are luuucky. In fact when I went to see the excellent Old Believers, St. Frankie Lee, and Black Heart Moon show at Valentine's on Monday, I met I guy and his gal who came all the ways from Reno to hang out in our town. Lets call them Bryan and Kara (cause that's their respective names). They came show specifically to see The Old Believers. Bryan was shocked that a show of that caliber was FREE. Also he was surprised at St. Frankie Lee's 7 members, "Just like the band he plays at in Reno! " I think he said. Buster Blue is the name of his band. He also eyed Derrick's (of St. Frankie Lee) banjo, stating that it was exactly like the one he uses. I think band friends were made. Anyway, he was kind enough to give me an advance copy of his CD "This Beard Grows for Freedom" . Now Bryan was sporting no beard, so I had some initial doubts. But I was surprised to hear that it was actually pretty good (if you like with some twang, if you like your twang with a little sax, if you like music that incorporates chains, then check it out). Then Last night I saw Carcrashlander play at Rotture. My goodness they are awesome. I thought it was criminally unattended. While talking to Cory Gray (leader of Carcrashlander) he said that was the last show for a while as he is going into Jackpot Studios in February to record a new album. Nice.

Anyways this is what is going on the rest of the week:

Thursday, January 15th

There are a lot of excellent shows to choose from.

  • Doug Fir is having a Tender Loving Empire curated night with a great lineup of Jared Mees & The Grown Children, Finn Riggins (Boise, ID), and World's Greatest Ghosts. All of these bands are super fun. As you may recall I thought that World's Greatest Ghosts were one of the best performer at PDX Pop last year. They are great. Jared Mees and co. Are super fun live, and their song "Bees" is definately one of my favorite songs of last year. If you go to this you will most assuredly dance around. And if you can't dance (or don't dance), you will at least bob your head to this joyous night of pop bliss. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

  • Holocene is having a show with the amazing Shelly Short, Iiyas Ahmed, and M Billy. This is a show if you like things a little on the acoustic but somewhat weird side of things. Shelly Short has an incredible voice and often plays with Alex Gideon who has a very unique (and awesome guitar style that he has developed with Carcrashlander (Brian Wright and Cory Gray, of said band, also often back her up as well). Iiyas Ahmed is very good and often plays with TJO (in fact, check out Valentine's on Sunday to see a new project feature those two). M Billy is really good but is kinda mellow. Actually they are all a bit mellow. You might want to sit down for this one. The show is $7 and starts at 9 PM.

  • Backspace is having a video release show for Ocelli's "Fiction Failed this Family". Ocelli will be playing a set as well as screening their video. The music video makes use of Castiron Carouselmarionettes.Y La Bamba (a stripped down set of Luzelena and myself), and Saqi will also be playing. It should be pretty sweet and and its ALL AGES. The $7 starts at 8 PM.

Friday, January 16th

You want to see a show? Perhaps you should look at the following:


  • Backspace is having a show with MEGA*CHURCH, Deelay Ceelay, and Pep Assembly. These bands are pretty good from what I've heard. Remember The Snuggle Ups? well Liam from that band is in Pep Assembly if that means anything to you (it means something to me). The ALL AGES show is $5 and starts at 8:30 PM.

  • The Coop is having an awesome with At Dusk, Point Juncture, WA, Aaron Shepard (of Metal. This is a stellar lineup. At Dusk hardly EVER plays so this is really special. The show is ALL AGES and is only a mere $2. It starts at 8 PM.

  • Red and Black is having a show with Lion and Eagles of the Sec Saints Art Collective which impressed me with thier roster. They will be playing "Special Guests" This is an ALL AGES show with donation based cover. It starts 6 PM (ps the food at this place is great).

  • Grey Gardens (2849 NE Davis) is having a show with Panther , Fist Fite and The Captains Daughter. If you are a fan of the energy charged house show setting. You probably already know about this show. If you don't know about how awesome house shows are, I suggest you attend this to see what its all about. Its is ALL AGES and $0. The things gets underway at 8 PM.

I will list some more shows happening this weekend later. And Trust me there is some great stuff coming up. So if you see me at any of these, please say "Hi".

-Ben


2nite + 4eva from MEGA*CHURCH on Vimeo.
MEGA*CHURCH plays backspace on Friday. Come to the service!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carcrashlander are weirdly amazing! People who have not heard them are like, "why do you like them so much?" and I'm like, "I like them A LOT!" so the "weirdly" is probably just my twenty-seven word vocabulary.

Ben Meyercord said...

I feel you on that (the vocabulary). If you have read my posts, you will notice that the words "Excellent", "Awesome", "Good", and "Amazing" are the ones I use the most. If I want to mix it up a bit I add words like "very", "really", or "ridiculously".

I also feel you on the Carcrashlander love.