Sunday, January 6, 2008

Ben Meyercords live music picks for Jan. 7th to Jan. 12th

Jeez. It is seems so cold lately. It makes me so tired. I didn't see any shows last week except for the one I played. These are tough times for seeing shows. Because lets face it, your couch has a blanket and you can fall asleep on it. A show on the other hand requires leaving the home and briefly facing the cold. On the other hand a show can totally revitalize you. So that is what I will try to do this week (be revitalized). you should give a try as well.

Here are your opportunities:

Monday the 7th

  • So AristeiA was all set to play the Someday Lounge tonight with The Friendly Skies and The Ax, but things happen and band line ups change. Any way, AristeiA had to sit this one out so Bonanza City has stepped up to fill the bill. The line up appears to be of the experimental/rock/post-rock variety. This is where I will bee Tonight. $5 at the door. Show starts at 9PM.
Tuesday the 8th

I could not find much in the way of actual shows. However this should not discourage you from attend one of Portland's finest open mics.
  • Zilla Sake has an open mic every single Tuesday. It is hosted by the amazing Y La Bamba with sound by E (who just bought some new toys for running sound). It is two songs per artist. Each performance will later be podcast via E's open mic scout website.
Wednesday the 9th

Finally we have some competition for my interests.
  • Berbati's Pan is having Cars & Trains, Logan Lynn, and The Skinnyz play. Cars & Trains look really interesting to me. It is described as being kind of folky but at the same time kind of hiphop (one of the guys from anticon , Sole, guests on his ep). Logan Lynn, according to his myspace page, plays "Emotronic" music. The Skinnyz play good old rock and roll. But mostly I am interested in Cars & Trains. I am unsure of the price, but the show starts at 9PM.
  • If you are a fan of country rock (not like country pop or whatever that sissy stuff they play on the radio is called) then you should head over to the Doug Fir to catch Scotland Barr and The Slow Drags, Mike D and The Loyal Bastards , and Rachel Taylor Brown. This is part of the In Music We Trust Series which means that it is free. Music starts at 9PM.
  • But the show I am most excited to see this week is going down at The Artistrey. Casiotone For The Painfully Alone (used to live in Portland) will be playing a show with Parenthetical Girls (does live in Portland). I am so excited about this. I love both Owen Ashworth's and Zac Pennington's music. Alot. Owen's little brother (also lives in Portland) who plays as Concern opens. It will cost $6 at the door. The show starts at 8PM.
Thursday the 10th

Another night of hard choices.
  • The Ash Street Saloon will have Leigh Marble, Jared Mees & The Grown Up Children, and Stuart Valentine playing. Leigh Marble is the Mercury's current "Band of the Week", so I figured it might be worth checking out. Plus the WWeek is always talking about how good Jared Mees is. I figured this might be a chance to find out (ps check out Leigh Marble's Remix of a Pay the Coyote song at the local cut section of the WWeek).
  • But Dante's is having The Section Quartet play. They are a string quartet who interpret rock music for the strings. They are supposed to be very good. They have played on albums for Kanye West, Devendra Barnhart, Ryan Adams, to Christina Aguilera. Opening up are locals faves Pseudosix (featuring members of The Joggers). The show is only $5. Show starts at 9PM.
  • Mt Tabor legacy also has a kick ass show though. We're From Japan! is playing. These guys are one of if not my favorite bands to see live. Love Meter and Marits open. This too only costs $5. Show starts at 9PM.
Friday the 11th

Here are some things to see and hear.
  • The Modern Age, an all ages space run by PSU's radio station KPSU has shows every other Friday. This Friday they will have Alan Singley, Ohioan & Native Kin, Church, and Suplex. I am only familiar with Alan Singley. He ca write a hell of a pop song. Plus he is a real nice guy. The show will cost $3-$5. Show starts at 8PM.
  • The Tube (18 NW 3rd) has DJ Copy and DJ Multiply. I don't genrally get into to DJ's, but I Love Copy. So if you need to dance your ass off. This the place to do just that. Free. DJ's start at 10PM.
Saturday the 12th

Okay so there are two good shows going down. One seems to be for a good cause and has a good line up. But the other also has a good line up and is closer to my house and starts later so that I can still do AristieA practice. I will list them both though.

So I will definitely be at some of these shows. If you see me come say hello (I'm the guy with the mustache). I hope you all have a great week.

-Ben


Parenthetical Girls play The Artistery on Wednesday

No comments: