Monday, July 26, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Monday, July 26th

Hello Dear Readers,

I am back in town. I actually got back on Saturday, but as per usual I have been super busy. Saturday I got to play as Meyercord at the Doug Fir. I was so stoked. Then yesterday I went and saw a MAKE Records Records showcase at In Other Words. I only got to see four out of I think six bands, but I very glad I went. Like a Villain and Kusikia were both incredible. Like a Villain is Holland Andrews who also plays in my band Meyercord. But as this project she goes it alone looping her clarinet, voice and glockespiel with considerable skill. I literally got chills watching her perform (it was not cold in the room, it was just really good). Then Kusikia tore it up afterwards. I love that band. They are a guitar and drum two piece that are kinda of a jazz punk thing? Never mind what I say about them, just check them out. I bought the Kusikia LP and the Like a Villain CD. I also picked up the Forest Park ep. I have not seen them but it features tow of the girls from the band Teeth and super awesome drummer Cyrus Lampton. I can't wait to listen to all of them. Anyway, here are some Portland shows that look good to me tonight:

Sellwood Riverfront Park is having a show with Sallie Ford & The Sound Outside. I have written about Sallie Ford and her band many many times and the way things are going, I will write about them many many more times. They continue to gain more and more notice from their super fun live shows and their debut ep. I think can't wait for a full length to come out. Come out if you like throw back pop, or just good music for free near a body of water (i.e. ideal circumstances to see music). The show is ALL AGES and FREE and starts at 6:30 PM.

Ella Street is having a show with The Golden Hours and Palmz (Porltand/Santa Cruz). I have written about both of these bands in the past. Then I kinda forgot about them. But I know that The Golden hours have started playing shows again. Which is cool because I never got to see them before. From what I remember they are a garage pop band. Check out their cover of The Shirelles "Baby it's you". So good. I recall Palmz music to be pretty good pop music too (kinda retro pop). The show is FREE and starts at 9:30 PM.

The Kenton Club (I hear it is world famous) is having Lana Rebel & The Love Lasers play a show. Lana Rebel used to play in a loud and heavy band. Now she plays county-esque music. We have heard of this kind of transition before, but I think that Lana has made an exceptional change. I like what I have heard her do with her new band. The show is FREE and starts at 8 PM.

Valentine's is having a show with Singing Knives, The Reservations, and Blood Beach. I am not familiar with the first two bands listed. I mean I read that The Reservations has members of Mattress and Don Hellions. I like Mattress and I really like Don Hellions. I am not sure which members but it is probably good, right? Plus I have been wanting to see Blood Beach for quite some time. Crazy weird rock and roll forever! The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi"

-Ben


Lana Rebel & The Love Lasers play for FREE tonight at Kenton Club

1 comment:

saintgoldie said...

I AM SO FUCKING SICK OF SPAM COMMENTS!!!!!!!!!!! Arg. WTF is happening on blogger.... why are we being targeted????