Monday, July 5, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Monday, July 5th

Hello Dear Readers,

It's been a while huh? I have been ridiculously busy lately. I have been able to see some shows. I have also missed some shows. Here are some highlight and low lights. Highlights was being able to see The Sarcastic Dharma Society and Alameda play in a barn at Kickitat Winery. Low points missing the last Hosannas show. I know that Brandon and Richard Laws will continue to make music together (perhaps as the Hosannas Brothers?), but I will miss the songs that I love so much. I also know that Lane Barrington will continue with his wonderful project The Ocean Floor. Christof will make his own music and has been rumored to make a documentary on the Portland music scene (are there any other scenes?). Anyways, I hope you all had a happy 'Merica Day yesterday. I did. Here are some shows that look good tonight:

The Know is having a show with AristeiA, Rubedo (Denver), and Secret Codes. Hey everybody come to my show. I play in AristeiA and I think that we are a pretty quality band. We are instrumental so you do not have to endure obtuse lyrics and vocals that are not to your liking. There is just raw feelings emoted through the power of music. Or something. Not to take away from the other two bands that do have singing and words and such. I know that Secret Codes used to be instrumental and they still might be heavily instrumental, but they do have some vocals in the mix. I have not seen them in a long time and I am interested to see how far they have progressed as a band. It used to be just the band members playing the parts at that band leader David Kyle wrote. But I am sure that over time the members have added their own touches to the music. If you like Efterklang or Tortoise, I think you will like this band. I don't know much about Rubedo, but my Drummer from Denver Vouches for them. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Ducketts is having a show with Palo Verde, Pluvial, and Tyrants. So okay, Palo Verde is a improvisational instrumental rock duo. There are not too many of those around town. And if there are, no offense, they probably aren't very good. Yet, the ladies in Palo Verde are good. Very good. They have undeniable music chemistry that allows them to play what seems like not improvised improvised music. It is also very very rock. They recorded and released an album recently. I have not heard it but I bet it is awesome. Pluvial is a very very cool bass and drums post rock sounding band. I really like what I heard on the Internet. It features the very talented and busy drummer David 'Papi' Fimbres who plays in like a million bands. I think The Tyrants are best described by the labels punk or post-punk. They make kinda discordant music with vocals that are difficult to understand due to the yelped vocals. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Slabtown is having a show with Bad Sports (Denton, TX), The Polaroids, Trash TV, and Blood Beach. Bad Sports is a band from the town where I went to college. They make music of the punk rock variety. Meaning while it does sound punk there are also traits of rock and roll like guitar solos and riffs and such. I am unsure as to whether or not the band I linked to as The Polaroids are the band that are playing tonight, but if they are they are a rock band. They have some heavily distorted live YouTube videos. I am also unsure of the Trash TV band I linked to. The main reason for writing about this show is because of Blood Beach. I think what they are doing is pretty unique sound. It is led by a guy who used to play under the moniker Tex Winters (who moved to Portland from Denton). He has a background in experimental folk and psychedelic rock. Though with this project I would say that he is leaning heavily on the rock side of things. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". I will be the one playing bass in AristeiA.

-Ben


Palo Verde will rip it up for FREE tonight at Ducketts.

No comments: