Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Tuesday, July 6th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night at the Know was pretty fun. Secret Codes is definitely progressing. Due to a bit of minor illness, there was not any singing last night. David Kyle, the band's leader, told me that four of his songs now incorporate singing. Also new to the mix was a song that features saxophone. I guess what I am saying is that I want to seen Secret Codes again. As for AristeiA, we played a set that was very loose. The set was barely on the rails. Plus we had Holland Andrews (Like a Villain, Meyercord etc...) on clarinet. Anyways, here are some shows that look pretty good. They are happening tonight:

Holocene is having another installment of The Rumble. This time it is with Swim Swam Swum, What Laura Says (Tempe, AZ), Wax Fingers, and DJ Skin So Soft. You know what the rumble is, right? It is that FREE party that is thrown every single month that features a touring band while spotlighting some local acts as well. Acts like Swim Swam Swum. This is a band that I write about every time they play. I think that they are one of the more solid bands in Portland. They epitomize slightly nasal guitar driven indie rock. Wax Fingers is a band that I have been meaning to catch for a while now. I like what I have heard. What I have heard was slightly experimental pop music. You should check it out. What Laura Says has gotten a lot of positive press. I have not listened to them much. The show is FREE and starts at 8:30 PM.

The Woods is having something called The Story Chapter XIV: Priya Zara's Sweet Revenge upon the Population of Ravana-Than-Gur (An Angel's Silence in 6 Acts) with Mountainhood (Northern CA or NY), Bird by Snow (San Francisco), Ilyas Ahmed, I beleive in Sunshine, Pioneer, and Plankton Wat. This is what The Woods website has said about The Story, "The Story is an ongoing music series which tells a continuous narrative from show to show, as the bands tell the story with songs. Each Chapter is curated by Feather (Michael Curtis Hilde from Mountainhood). Further: The Story is happening all around us, made of TV, molecules, lives, lies, dreams, perceptions. The Story, in and of itself, is an idea that encapsulates all that's happening on the inner and outer plane, real and superreal, canny and uncanny: everything. People's music and lyrics tell it. The purpose of our happenings is to gather together and hear it. Whatever the narrative may be - reality decides - Only We perceive. Every happening is a new chapter, each band tells the next sentence." Sounds pretty interesting, right? All of the bands are weird folk or psychedelic folk or just weird. The show is $6 and starts at 8:30 PM.

Doug Fir is having a show with Water & Bodies, Archeology, and Ocean Age. I am mostly writing about this because I think that Ocean Age is one of the most promising bands in Portland. I really dig the feel that they create. I really am not quite sure how to describe it, but I do recognize it as being good. Archeology also shows potential. They make very modern sounding lite indie rock. I feel that I have seen the name Water & Bodies before, but I do not know much about them. I sadly do not have the ability to give any bands a listen today (not speakers at work right now). The show is $7 and starts at 9 PM.

Someday Lounge is having a show with Julian Snow, Carcrashlander, Christopher McFetridge (Dallas, OR), and The Lilies (CA). I have not seen Carcrashlander in FOR-EVER. They are a great band that is super chill. Sometimes Jammy always impressive. Cory Gray is one of the top players around town and has been on countless records and has backed himself with some of the best players in town. The show is $3 and starts at 9 PM.

Valentine's is having a show with Key Losers, Total Noise and The Whisperlights (Tempe, AZ). Key Losers is the new band from Katy Davidson most popular for the band, Dear Nora. Dear Nora is a band that I got into before I moved to Portlandia. Katy Davidson is a bit like a musical chameleon but though the outside layers change, at the heart of all of her music is pop. I think you will like the music. And would you look at that, another Tempe band. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM

If you see me at any of these shows please say "Hi". I predict good things if you do.

-Ben


Wax Fingers will play tonight at Holocene. No word on whether they will bring trippy visual companion installations.

No comments: