Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Wednesday, July 7th

Hello Dear Readers,

Yesterday I mostly finished moving. I packed essentially by myself from 6 PM to 12 AM. Intense. That being said I missed all the shows that happened. Though once I got home I got to hear Bohr, the new AristeiA side project, practice. It is sounding really cool. I will totally let you guys know when there are some recordings. Anyways, here are some quick thoughts (I'm too tired for in depth thoughts) of the local shows tonight:

Laurelthirst is having a show with Y La Bamba and Meyercord. Y La Bamba landed the Laurelthirst Residency for the entire month of July. I am stoked. We are are going to be playing some old favorites as well as using this opportunity to try out some new stuff as well. Tonight is especially exciting for me because I will be opening up for Y La Bamba, one of my favorite bands (that I play in). I will be honest, I gain a sense of satisfaction when I play in more than one band at one show. It feels like I am not wasting my time. I am very happy with how things have been progressing with Meyercord lately. We are sometimes a five piece now, though tonight we will play as a three piece with upright bass by Perry Pfister and Holland Andrews on clarinet and vocals. I love the way it sounds. The show is FREE and starts at 6 PM.

Branx is having a show with Golden Retriever, Pulse Emitter, Josh Hydeman, and J. Hanson. I like Golden Retreiver. Check it out. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

Ella Street Social Club is having a show with Gratitillium, Snuffaluffagus (CA), and Witt (San Diego). I wrote about the two California bands just a few days ago. Gratitillium has a new EP out and an album on the way. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

Mississippi Studios is having a show with Sleepy Sun and Tu Fawning. Tu Fawning is rad. Has Joe from 31 Knots and Menomena with Corina Repp and others. You can hear a track from their upcoming album on their myspace (which I linked to earlier). The show is $10 and starts at 9 PM.

Laughing Horse Books is having a show with Purrbot, Shelby Sifers and Letmore. I have not seen Shelby play in years. But her songs are good. Her voice as I recall reminds me of old Joanna Newsome. So you will either like it or hate it. I like it. Purrbot is pretty great. Kinda moody, but great. The ALL AGES show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at the Laurelthirst please say, "Hi". I would be very appreciative.

-Ben


You can catch Purrbot at Laughing Horse Books on Burnside.

1 comment:

PC-PDX.com said...

You blog so hard Ben!

It's been so long and i miss our inter blog chats. -Thought i'd up your comment count since it seems you've been a little sad on the lack thereof lately.. yummy words!

CIMTB!
Hearts and pandas and puppies and shit,
-d!