Another week of good shows. In fact, this week is kind of a big deal because Music Fest North West is happening this week. So I will just start by listing todays and tomorrows listing before making the big MFNW post which will most likely take more time than I have today. So with out further adu:
Monday, September 1st
There are a few things going on tonight.
- Honestly though, I think that the best thing going on tonight can be listened to from your very own home or radio or on the Internet where ever you be tonight. It is of course Arya Amig's Sound Judgement which happens every Monday night from 10 to 11 PM. Tonight he is hosting Nurses, a band that was definitely one of the highlights of PDX Pop, in my opinion. They make very catchy and interesting pop music with a penchant for excellent harmonies. And holy crap, I just learned that they are going on tour with Maps and Atlases and late Born Ruffians. They are going to be big time. I would highly recommend that you check this out. It is FREE and will be broadcast live from KPSU or 1450 am on your radio. Again, this starts at 10 PM.
- But there is something to be siad about acutually seeing live music as well. So if your are into that you could go over to Valentine's and catch Fuck You Safari and Magic Johnson. I have not seen either of these bands, but I have been assured that Magic Johnsons are fun to see live. I have also assured myself that I like the name Fuck You Safari (a lot). They are actually feature a member from Magic Johnson and the drummer from Eat Skull. It is supposedly noise with pop capabilities. This show will be FREE and will start sometime after 9 PM.
- There is also something to be said about live music that is played at a house (commonly known as a "house show"). Tonight Olympia's June Madrona and The Next Door Neighbors will be playing sets with Portland's Zach Fischmann and Hey, Tiger! (usually a three piece, tonight will be a one piece). It all happens at Brianna's House (5231 NE 31st). I think that this will be a kinda of folky kinda punky type show. There is a $3 to #5 suggested donation for the touring bands. It will be ALL AGES show and will stat at 7 PM sharp.
Tuesday, September 2nd
Here are a few things going on Tuesday.
- Someday Lounge is having a show with Brooklyn's Silver Summit and Portland's aan and Whip. This looks to be a diverse show as Silver Summit claim to be pyschedelic, aan is experimental pop, and Whip is kinda folky. If you listen to the links, it will also looks to be pretty good. The show is $6 and starts at 9 PM.
- Holocene is having a show with Jana Hunter (Huston/Blaltimore), Lesser Gonzales Alvarez (Baltimore), and Grouper. I know that Jana Hunter does the folk thing well. I don't know anything about Lesser Gonzales Alvarez, but I do know about Grouper. Grouper is great. I remember watching her play at PDX Pop and being amazed at how nice and good it felt to have the beatiful noise that she makes wash over me in a warm wave of sound(I realize I cannot describe music with out sounding like an ass). Seriously good stuff made from a woman who usually sits on the floor with her pedals and loops her way into your head. The show is $6 and starts at 9 PM.
- Also, Zilla Sake has its open mic hosted by Y La Bamba. There is good sake and sushi and sometimes even good music. It is FREE but you are missing out if you don't try any of the goods this place has to offer. This starts at 8 PM and goes until about 11 PM.
So if you see me at any of these places, please by all means come up to me and say "Hi". And I hope that you are prepared
for the onslaught that is Music Fest North West.
Hey, Tiger! to play at Brianna's House (I beleive she is the one at the glockenspiel).