Sunday, August 31, 2008

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for August 31st

Hello Dear Readers,

Its Sunday. Did you guys see any good shows this week? I have not really been to any shows this week save the one I played on Wednesday. But I might try to catch one today. Lord knows there are enough options. Just look:

Sunday, August 31st

  • Kelly's Olympian is having a show with New Century Schoolbook , Hot Toddies (Oakland), and Pony Village. You may recognize New Century Schoolbook as a band featuring CIMTB's own Amber Dawn. But you should also know them for their indie pop styings as well. They have had a busy week, first playing on Arya Amig's Sound Judgement on Monday, then playing Exit Only on Friday and this show today. Crazy. Anyway, I think you should check out the indie-rock of Pony Village as well. I like indie-rock. Don't you? Hot Toddies, on the other hand, do the the girl pop punk thing...really well (they are doing an ALL AGES in store at Music Millennium at 5PM too, if you are interested). The $5 show starts at 9 PM.
  • Valentine's is having a show with Modernstate, Loud Thomas, and Pony Ghost (not to be confused with Pony Village from the above listing (I think Pony's are the new wolf)). Modernestate writes all kinds of songs so his sets are pretty unpredictable as I recall. Loud Thomas is probably Lou Thomas of of A Weather and Chores fame. I have not seen him play solo (if he is playing solo). Who knows what it will be like. Loud? Pony Ghost is a mystery to me. I can't find any info, besides shows they have played before. The show be FREE and starts sometime after 9 PM.
  • Or you could go to Rontom's where Colt Vista and Doubledutch are playing a double bill. AristeiA played a show with Colt Vista awhile back and I was impressed by their blend of post-rock and electronic elements. Good stuff. I really like what I have heard of the Eskimo & Sons side project, Doubledutch. This would be a good time to see how it works in a live setting. They only list two band members but I hear they enlist more for the live band. The show is FREE and starts at 8 PM.

So if you see me at any of these shows come up and say "Hi". I promise to return the greeting.

-Ben


Colt Vista play tonight for FREE at Rontoms

5 comments:

Amber Dawn said...

I think you might want to check your typos because you said new century schoolbook was having a "busty" week. I guess with me involved that might be true, but I doubt that's what you meant.
or you could leave it, it is kinda funny.

Ben Meyercord said...

hmmmm

Ben Meyercord said...

Amber--you might want to look again. I am pretty sure it says busy (I mean now that I fixed it and all).

Amber Dawn said...

wow, you're right. Sorry, I must have been seeing things.

Ben Meyercord said...

Amber--Also I must have been crazy to think I would be able to make to a show after working 10 hours and getting the amount of sleep I have been getting lately. How did the show go?