Hello Portland and areas surrounding Portland this is what is going down, show wise, this week:
Monday, December 10th
There isn't too much going on at the start of the week but there is this...
- Strangers Die Everyday will be performing at Valentine's (232 SW Ankeny St) with Blue Cranes. Show starts at 9pm ($5).
like I said not too much going down at the beginning of the week, but check out either of these open-mics as there have been glimpses of brilliance at both. I have also been known to perform as Meyercord at both (not that there is a correlation between this sentence and the previous sentence).
- The Incubator is hosted by my good friend and apparent fellow Crappy Indie Music blogger Gabriel Darling. This goes down at the Someday Lounge. The cool thing about these besides the great sound and stage and people, is that every performance is recorded so and archived on the Someday Lounge website for later viewing. Starts at 9pm (free).
- There is also the Open-mic Night over at Zilla's Sake on Alberta. This is usually hosted by my friend Elena Mendoza aka Y La Bamba (in my opinion one of the most talented people making music in Portland right now). The room is small but the sound is very warm thanks in large to a gentleman who calls himself E (not to be confused with the lead singer of Eels). He records this musical gathering every Tuesday and makes them available via the Open Mic Scout Podcast. Starts at 8pm (free).
Today I am playing a show in the band AristeiA along with Jon Garcia and The Charmparticles at the Doug Fir so you know where I will be (and where you should be as well). But in the interest of being fair, the following shows are going on too.
- Some local band called The Shins are playing at The Crystal Ballroom. But its sold out so I guess it doesn't matter.
- Over at Valentine's ( 232 SW Ankeny St) Aan, Ah Holly Fam'ly, and Saw Whet are all playing the Cloudrag Magazine release party. I have heard that all of these are bands worth checking out.
This is where it gets tough. There are three shows. I wish to be at all of them.
- Tu Fawning (featuring Joe Haege of 31 Knots and Corrina Repp) is playing with The Golden Bears, and some band called Baby Dollars are all playing the Holocene. The show starts at 9pm ($7). I have regrettably missed Tu Fawning play every single time they have played. This might be another time because...
- Peter Broderick is playing with Ethan Rose at The Mississippi Studios. This is a rare treat as Peter has until further notice relocated from Portland to Copenhagen, Denmark. Don't miss you chance to see him and get his new cd without all of those oversea shipping charges. Show starts at 8pm ($8/$10).
- And over by PGE Park, Nate Ashley and The Liminal Sea are playing with The Graves and "a very special, secret guest" at the Towne Lounge. It sounds interesting. Doors at 9pm ($5?).
I will be out of town playing a show with Nire in Hood River as Meyercord (if you have friends in Hood River, send them to The Horse and the Hound on Friday) so I won't be able to see these but...
- David Bazan (ex-Pedro The Lion) with J. Tillman in tow. They are playing at The Mississippi Studios. You may recall that AristeiA opened the last time David came through (it was pretty cool). If you don't have a ticket, whoops. It sold out.
- Over at Kelly's Olympian, Tractor Operator will be playing with both Oh Darling and The Dimes. I like Tractor Operator. Show at 10pm (no price listed).
There are a couple of good ones. You would do right by me by attending any of these
- Spoon is playing The Crystal Ballroom with The Skaky Hands. Sold Out (this makes the third sold out show I have listed. "Why do I list the sold out shows?" you may ask. "Because I wish I were there" is what I would answer.)
- The Bitter End will be featuring one of my favorite local bands, Westfold. Mirumir and Trick Sensei will also play. Show at 9pm ($5)
- The Doug Fir will hosting a double bill feature Portland's own The Blow and Swan Island. Show is at 9pm ($12).
- The one I am truly excited about is Y La Bamba playing with a full band. This will go down at the Chaos Cafe. Show at 8pm ($5).
I will most likely go to this show
- Modernstate is playing over at the Holocene with Autopilot is for Lovers and Sarah Winchester (of A Weather fame). If I remember correctly he/they put on a pretty fun live show. And besides it being a good line-up, it is a benefit for local musician, Lou Thomas (also of A Weather). See the holocene page for all the details. Show starts at 9pm ($8).
Ben Meyercord--photo by Ben