Monday, August 30, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I needed a recharge. I skipped all shows and stayed home. It was nice. There are some shows that happening tonight:

Holocene is having a show with Dum Dum Girls (California), Guantanamo Baywatch, Orca Team, and The Reservations. Dum Dum Girls have a real good sound. Fuzzy distorted pop. The all girl band carry on in the tradition of many bands before them. A tradition I love. It is a nice fit with these two great kinda surf-y and also lo-fi pop gems Guantanamo Baywatch and Orca Team. In fact it makes me wonder why Dum Dum Girls are so big and these bands are not just as big. Also The Reservations are a welcome addition to the Portland Music scene. Not that we are unfamiliar with its members (Mattress + Don Hellions = The Reservations). The show is $5 and starts at 8:30 PM.

In Other Words is having a show withWorld History (Seattle), Shelby Sifers, Colleen Johnson, and Danielle Warhola. Shelby can write good songs. I have not seen her paly in a long time. I bet she has new songs. I like her old songs. They are often charming and honest and well...good. I will be honest, some people can't get down with her voice which is reminiscent of early Johanna Newsom. I could not find out any information regarding the other people that were listed for this show. So I don't really know what to expect. But in the description of the show, Shelby hinted that she may "whine about atheism". Does this appeal to you? The ALL AGES show is at 7 PM.

If you see me at either of these shows please say, "Hi". I try to be approachable.

-Ben


Orca Team will play Holocene tonight!

No comments: