Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Tuesday, August 10th

Hello Dear Readers,

It has been very rough on me not having a computer. I miss listening to music on it. I have the iPhone, but due to the whole Adobe vs, mac thing, I am unable to listen to most music on the Internet. At least the easy things like myspace. Anyway, I feel like it has been a long time. I have only been to two shows recently. I went to the Runonsentence tour kick off show which was great. And then I went to a show on Sunday with Wishyunu, Secret Codes, Rooftops, and Ocean Age. That line up was amazing. I finally got to see Wishyunu, but i missed a lot of their set because the Secret Codes guys convinced me to dine with them. I always wondered exactly what What Wishyunu was doing live. There was a lot of looping and it was awesome. I need to see them again to experience the full set. Also they seemed like really nice people (what's up guys). Then Secret Codes played. They were great. They have several vibes going for them. Not actual vibes like vibraphone but they probably should it would be a nice addition. They sometimes remind me of tortoise, sometimes like Stereolab. Which is to say they have a great sound. Then Rooftops from Bellingham played. They are an awesome math pop band that use a ridiculous amount of finger tapping. In a good way. Ocean Age closed out the night. They have gotten so good. When they do three part harmonies (sometimes four part harmonies?) it is gorgeous. Plus they debuted two new songs that sounded great. I have never seen a pop band use the Congo drum as effectively as Ocean Age does. Sadly I found out that two of the members recently relocated to Seattle (darn them and their "job opportunities") which means far less Ocean Age shows. But anyway, here are some Portland shows that showed up on my radar:

Pssst. I heard about this show here at this place. It has this band and this band for FREE. Just Sayin'.

The Artistery is having a show with Little Wings, Lee Baggett, and Sandy's. I will be totally honest. I have mixed feelings about Little Wings. Sometimes I like it. Sometimes I don't. he is a guy who I recall makes music that is not to far off from his old collaborator Phil Elvrum of Mt. Eeriee. He has a new collaborator now in the form of Lee Baggett. I have not heard his stuff. I could not find any information about Sandy's, but there is a good chance that this show will be good. The ALL AGES show is $6 and starts at 8 PM.

Ella Street is having a show with Singley (featuring Alan Singley), Tom Provost & the Guardians of The Future, and Shoot Guns And Fish. Singley is Alan Singley's songs stripped down to a two piece. This is actually how I first was aquainted with his songs. It was just him and a drummer. I like his songs an awful lot. They are fun and Alan is such a showman. Shoot Guns And Fish is known as Stoop Kid on myspace and sounds like lo-fi Indie music. I like most things with that tag. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows. please say "Hi",

Ben


Why am I posting this video? Mississippi Studios?

No comments: