Saturday, August 28, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Saturday, August 28th

Hello Dear Readers,

I was out of town for five days. What did I miss? Seriously. I have no idea. Well while I wait for you to respon in the comments section, I will list a ton of good shows that are happening this fine day:

Hopworks Urban Brewery is having Biketoberfest with Hillstomp, Morning Teleporatation, Boy Eats Drum Machine, Ravishers, Quiet Life, and DJ Short Change. I hate to say it, but I think the summer might be coming to an end. But there are still many summer type events going still. This is one of them. I love FREE shows that start in the afternoon and last into the night. BEDM is one of the most unique acts in Portland. The ALL AGES is FREE and is going on right now (starts at noon goes to 10 PM).

The Old Town Block Party is happening tonight. It has Deelay Ceelay, The Joggers, The Mean Jeans, Lovers, Rev. Shines, Dundiggy, Mr. Matt Nelkin and Nature. Woah, another thing very simialar to what I just posted. But this one is closer to down town. Plus I think there are more bands that I am familiar with. The Joggers for free? That's absurd. Plus I have been wanting to catch the catchy Lovers live set for some time now. The show is also FREE it is also noon to 10 PM.

Backspace is having a show with Wax Fingers, By Sunlight (Seattle), and Manouk (San Diego). I want to see Wax Fingers. I bet that their innovative, or at least very fresh, sounding pop music sounds great live. The ALL AGES show is $5 and starsta t 8 PM>

Alberta Rose Theatre is having the Blue Cranes, Rebeca Gates & The Consortium, and Jonathan Sielaff play. It is the CD release show for the new Blue Cranes album, Observatories. I love Blue Cranes Jazz based music. It is incredible to see live. If you ever get a chance to, you definitely should. I have not heard their new album, but I bet it is amazing. Also go check out Rebeca Gates. I have no idea what her new band, The Consortium is all about, but I am curious. Also I like this venue. It is a baby Aladdin Theatre. The show is $12 and starts at 9 PM.

The Doug Fir is having a show with Sean Flinn & The Royal We, Musee Mecanique, and Ezza Rose. This line up is awesome! And not only because I am playing it. Yes, I play in Sean Flinn and the Royal We (as back up singer extraordinaire), but the only reason I do is because I love the music. It is finely crafted and well arranged pop music. Plus if you are at all familiar with this blog, you know that I LOVE both Musse Mecanique and Ezza Rose. I bet both will be playing newish songs as both have been recording. Speaking of recordings, Sean is finally releasing his first CD, Write Me A Novel. You should think about picking it up because it is good. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

Biddy McGraw's is having a Breast Cancer Awareness Fundraiser with Jonah, Ravishers, Climber, Kelli Schaefer, and Violet Isle. Do you know about breast cancer? No? check out this show. You might learn you something. Or at least get money to people who might in turn be able to afford to learn you something. Plus I think Kelli Schaefer is amazing. The show is at 9 PM.

Laurelthirst is having a show with Tchotchkes, Stiffwiff, and Kelly Blair Bauman. Stiffwiff in the past has been a mostly improvised vehicle for a bunch of friends to get together and jam (in front of people). I have not seen them since they put out a record. I am not sure if they have changes things up and actually play songs now. Also I enjoy the songs of Kelly Blair Bauman, and you might too. The show is at 9:30 PM.

Fringe Vintage is having a show with Westfold and Fathers And Sons. I am a Westfold fan. And as a Westfold fan I can usually count on one thing to happen at a Westfold show. I expect to hear new songs. These guys are writing machines. For Real. They also can change up their sound or at least add more layers and depth to their sound with every show. This is FREE and starts at 8 PM.

If you see me at Doug Fir tonight please say, "Hi". It will be greatly appreciated.

-Ben


Musee Mecanique play Doug Fir tonight! Awesome!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You shoud definitely try and catch a full band live show from Violet Isle they are amazing live and really have an wonderfully talented singer.

Ps. Love reading you blog I always find great bands because of it.