Friday, May 6, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Friday, May 6th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I played a specials Cinco de Mayo show at Mississippi Studios. It was super fun. Los Estupidos started things out strong. Everyone, myself included, was dancing. The Grand Hallway came on stage. I mentioned in my post yesterday that Cory Gray had produced their new album. Last night he sat i for their usual pianist Shenandoah Davis. Shenandoah has a solo thing that, no offense to Grand Hallway, I like even better. We played after they did. I was nervous because I had not used my voice for singing in days. The last show I played, my voice cracked because I was sick. My voice did not let me down last night Anyways, here are the shows that look good to me tonight:

Mississippi Studios is having the Best New Band show. The show is And And And, Brainstorm, and Wild Ones. Did you guys pick up the latest Willamette Week? Yeah, they released the Best New Bands. Very much like last year, I thought that the 1 band (then Sallie Ford and The Sound Outside) was good, but the 2 band was amazing (then Typhoon). This year, I think And And And are good, but I think that 2 band, Ages and Ages, are amazing. Whatevs. I couldn't believed Archers just missed the list. Anyway it is a nice thing they do over at WWeek to put on a free show. It is even better when I like all the bands. And And And are full of energy and write some good songs. The vocals are love or hate. Brainstorm are a great band whose efforts to push pop music boundaries have some pretty awesome results. Wild Ones are a pop band that I have been meaning to see since I devoured their ep (several times). The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.
Branx is having Ladies Night with Reporter, Wampire, Arohan, and Linger & Quiet. Reporter is a cool electro sound. I am not huge electro guy, but I could see myself getting this in a live setting. It seems to be the sort of music that I would get caught dancing to at a red light. Wampire is a band that I have been into for a while. Now. I have not seen them since that achieved full band status. I think they still play to some prerecorded tracks. I have seen a video and it seems to liven up the set quite a bit. I am not sure that I know my electronic music genres well enough, but I think that it is micro house? The show is $3 for ladies and $7 for the fellas. and starts at 9 PM.

The White Eagle is having the show with Early Hours, On The Stairs, and Lewis Childs. I could't find out any information on Early Hours. That's okay. I am listing the show because of On The Stairs. I really like Nate Clark's songs. His last album is chock full of great horns which add a flavor of soul music to his work. It is a very nice thing. Lewis Childs is a guy who I have not previously heard. I am glad that I have now. It is kinda roots/country/jazz influenced. I think he is a good match with On The Stairs. The show is $6 and starts at 9:30 PM.

Twilight Cafe and Bar is having a show with The Harvey Girls, Terwilliger Curves, and Marlena. The Harvey Girls is a great duo of well executed experimental pop music. They have a lot free music available online. Check the link I provided as a starting point. Terwilliger Curves is a psychedelic rock band that tend to lean towards the lo-fi side of things. They add parts of talk-sing and crazy sounds. Marlena also sometimes has talk-sing parts. But they also have some heavy parts. But not always. This is a bill with tons of bands that are hard to describe. The show is $5 and starts at 9:30 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "hi".

Ben

wild ones from Mike Turner on Vimeo.


Wild Ones will play tonight for FREE at Mississippis Studios!

No comments: