Monday, May 2, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Monday, May 2nd

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I got back from an Y La Bamba West coast tour. We drove from L.A. to Portland. 15 hours is a long drive for anyone. It felt even longer thanks to my new found head cold. I am not sure that I will make it out tonight. I think I need to recover. Anyways, here are the shows that look good to me tonight:

Doug Fir is having the first of two night of Menomena. Tonight they are playing with EMA and Hosannas. Menomena has been of of my favorite Portland acts for a long time. It has been a balance of the three people who despite all odds kept it together and made some of the coolest music ever. Brent Knopf recently left the band to focus on his new band Ramona Falls. I have yet to see the band in its new configuration. It is a bummer that I will never get to see my favorite Menomena song "Wet & Rusting" performed live again. But there are plenty of other great songs that they can lay. Especially now that they have both members of Dat'r (Paul Alcott and Matt Daborwiak) at their disposal. I have seen some video's and they seem to pull off their material. Though it should be noted that it took two people to replace Brent. EMA is a girl from Sioux Falls who got into music via "accidental performance art/teenage bar bands". I have not heard much from her. But I trust Menomena's judgement. Especially when they pick an opener like Hosannas. Another band that lost a bit of their band recently. They have changed their direction to incorporate more electronics that touch on "chill wave" vibes. But the dynamics and great harmonies remain in tact. The show is $18 and starts at 9 PM.
Valentine's is having a show with DoublePlusGood and Pocketknife. DoublePlusGood is a electro pop band that is pretty great. I have liked them since I saw them play a show with Church (now Hosannas) a long time ago at Rererato (now The Alice Coltrane Memorial Coliseum). The music is made of memorable melodies and cool keyboard lines, courtesy of Erik Carlson. There are beats on the recorded music, but live I believe there is live drummer, Andrew Nelson. Pocket Knife seem to make very danceable music. I only found one song on their myspace entitled "Cotton Candy". I could only hear 30 seconds of it but it sounded pretty promising. Erik Carlson of DoublPlusGood also runs the label SoHiTek Records which has put out DoublePlusGood and Pocket Knife and re-released Pegasus Dreams excellent album Painting Pantheons. This is a bit of a label showcase. I think you should keep an eye on these bands and this label The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.
If you see me at any of these shows please say, "hi".

Ben


Menomena will play Doug Fir tonight. And then again tomorrow!

1 comment:

The Most Random One said...

Menomena is awesome! And Ramona Falls is even cooler...atleast according to me!