Thursday, April 23, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for April 23rd and 24th

Hello Dear Readers,

I went to the show last night and had a relatively good time. Grey Anne was great (she even debuted a new song) and I got to see what good musicians A Cautionary Tale are. Plus as it turns out they were giving out their new album for FREE at the show. Crazy. But the real surprise was Sleepy Eyes of Death, the poorly named yet very good band from Seattle. They sound like the baby of M83 and Explosions in the Sky. At least that it what I remember. They had a guy in the band whose sole job was to work the fog machine and light show (there were a lot of lights). Good times. Anyway, this is what is happening tonight.

Thursday

It is almost the weekend. Why not celebrate by going to see a show?

  • Backspace is having a show with Amanda Richards, Amber Rubarth (Brooklyn) and Karli Fairbanks (Spokane). There is only one local. She's 'aight. I am mostly writing about this show because I think Karli Fairbanks is very good. I saw her last time she came through. Very good. The ALL AGES show is $6. The music is set to start at 8:30 PM.
  • Edgefield is having a FREE show with Weinland. They have a new album out. I have heard a little bit of it. It is good. If you have a car it is probably worth the drive out to Edgefield. If you do not have a car I suggest you sit this one out as it is kinda far. The FREE show starts at 7 PM.
  • The Know is having a show The Rippinest, Air War, and Extirpatients. I write about this show because I remember reading a post by Air War about how they are a wimpy metal band or something to that effect. I too play in a some what wimpy metal-ish thing so I checked it out. Pretty good. The Rippinest is pretty rock and Extirpatients is either Death Metal or Grindcore. I am not very good when it comes to heavy genres. The show is at 8 PM and is FREE.

Friday

It is the Weekend. Why not celebrate by going to see a show? I know if two that look real nice.

  • Music Millennium is having an instore performance by Weinland for their new record, "Breaks in the Sun". I was at their Music Millennium Instore performance last year and it was great. Plus if you missed them on Thursday this is your second chance. It is ALL AGES and FREE and starts at 7 PM.
  • Mississippi Studios is back and better than ever. They are having good shows in an area that has needed a "real" venue for awhile. Friday they have Richard Buckner and locals Dolorean playing a show. I think these two acts are top notch, for lack of a better term, Americana. I have been listening to Richard Buckner since 1998 when his brilliant album "Since" came out. His voice is so cool. Dolorean makes good records and is pleasant enough live depending on how many players they have with them (the more the better). The show is $12-14 and starts at 7 PM.

So say hi to me if you see me at any of these shows. I am the one with brown hair and a beard.

-Ben


Weinland Video Review from NonStop Riot on Vimeo.
Weinland plays twice in the next two days. Nice.

No comments: