Thursday, March 6th
We got a couple of local CD release shows today and then some.
- Music Millennium used to have a bunch of in-stores at the NW location, but that location has gone the way of Ozone Records (no longer open). Luckily for all of us on this side of the river, the East side location has picked up the slack. Today they will host a FREE in-store performance by Weinland at 6 PM. I like Wienland and if you like any kind of Americana, you might like them too. Badman Recording Co. liked then so much that they are putting out the bands newest album La Lamentor.
- This will leave you plenty of time to head over to Holocene for another CD release show. This time for Panther who is releasing 14 KT on the Kill Rock Stars label very soon. Sharing the bill are one of my favorites Parenthetical Girls with Mattress rounding out the show. This show is $8. The doors are at 9 PM.
- Or you could go to Kelly's Olympian to see a three tiered local show made up of Chores, Swallows, and Deer or The Doe. Looks like it would be fun to see. The cost of the show is $3. The doors are at 9 PM.
When I was talking about all of the shows, I was specifically referencing Friday. Check out the seven shows I want to go to:
- Berbati's Pan has seen better days, but they will occasionally have a show that I want to see. Friday night is one of those nights. Little Beirut(not related to the regular Beirut), play a show with Derby and Lael Alderman. Basically, last week local cut had one of Little Beirut's songs as a cut of the day. It sounded awesome. Kinda like older Cursive. This is theit CD release show. It costs $7 at the door. The show starts at 9 PM.
- The usually pricey Crystal Ballroom occasionally (with the help of KNRK Alternative Portland 94.7 FM) will have shows for $9.47. They are having on such show on Friday featuring Helio Sequence, The Shaky Hands, and Pseudosix. It is part of the "I Saw Them When" series. So agian $9.47. The music starts at 9PM (doors are at 8 PM).
- Also downtown, Someday Lounge is having an incredible show. Xiu Xiu and Thao & The Get Down Stay Down are playing with CIMTB favorite Dragging an Ox Through Water. Up until recently I have decided to not like Xiu Xiu. I listened to his most recent album, Women as Lovers, and can no longer deny that Xiu Xiu is awesome. It should be amazing.
- In the NW you got The Wherewithals playing with Jared Mees and The Morals at Slabtown. This is a CD release show for The Wherewithals. But threason I mention thos show is because I really like The Morals. Both for their song writing and endlessly entertaining live and sloppy live shows.
- Or, if you like Neil Young (who doesn't?), you could head on over to the Mississippi Studios to catch the Neil Young Tribute show. It features Dolorean, Matt Sheehy, and Mbilly. It should be good times. The show is FREE. The music starts at 8 PM.
- And also, just because I Know Goldie would hate it if I didn't mention it, Black Elk plays tonight at Tonic Lounge. Drunken Ladies and Pacific Ballistic are also playing the show.
There are some good shows going on this Saturday. These are them:
- Westfold is playing a show with The Taxpayers at The Twilight Room. Westfold is such a good band. The show is FREE so there is no excuse for you not to go. Show starts at 9 PM.
- Rotture has a show featuring Extra Life, The Dead Science, Parenthetical Girls, and Dirty Mittens. I really like the Parenthetical Girls I have heard of these other bands but I am not too familiar with their music. The show costs $7. The show starts at 9 PM.
- Also you could go over to The Waypost you can catch Modernstate, Super XX Man, and AAN play for FREE. This show starts at 8 PM.
- Or you could go to a house show in at 5115 NE 36th (between Alberta and Killingsworth). The bands and there corresponding times are as follows: prime meridian 9:30-10pm
chip brokah/colin jones 9:00-9:30
a. singley & pants machine 8:30-9pm
quiet countries 7:30-8pm
william holley 7:00-7:30 This looks like a good mix of hip hop, indie-pop, post rock, and other. This is at David's house. Have fun. ps I think Prime Meridian sound pretty sweet (based on their myspace).
I could only find one show on Sunday, but it looks like a good one:
- Mississippi Pizza is having Shoeshine Blue, Leonard Mynx, Audie Darling, and Autopilot is for Lovers. All of these bands are good. I saw the lead singer of Shoeshine Blue last Sunday and was pretty Impressed. The show is probably FREE. It all starts at 9 PM.
Weinland Play a FREE instore on Thursday at Music Millennium.