Monday, March 3rd
Usually Valentine's has something goin on on Mondays, but their music calender ended on Friday and has not been updated but it might be worth stopping by. But if you want some confirmed shows check these out:
- March Fourth Marching Band is continuing their five year anniversary at the Crystal Ballroom. This will be a dance party. And I don't mean a bunch of hipster kids spazzing out while flailing their arms like crazy. I mean. there probably some of that too/. But I am talking about everyone moving. You will have your modern dancers, hippie swayers, normal people head bobbing, and probably so much more. If the Fourth don't supply enough of a party for you, your dancing needs will be covered by not one but two DJs (DJ Jooro and DJ Globalruckus)Plus Balkan Beat Box will make their first Portland appearance ever. Let me answer your next question. Balkan Beat Box, according to Wikipedia (get ready for a lot of wiki-links), "establish their own unique sound by fusing the musical styles of Jewish, Mediterranean and Balkan traditions as well as the cultural influences of their home turf of New York City with some hints of electronica." All of this for $14. This is ALL AGES, so the doors are at 8 PM.
- Or you could just go to the tube and catch a very hip Portland band, Chromatics, play for FREE. This will go down at 11 PM.
Much is happening on Tuesday. Can you handle it?
- March Fourth Marching Band (get it March 4th...March Fourth, ha) wraps up its three day Fifth Year Anniversary at the Crystal Ballroom with Gamelan X, Nanda, and Kazuma. Let me some this show up for you. Marching band, Stilts, Fire breathers, World Dance music, Acrobats, "Kung Fu acro-fighting", and more. It is $14 for this ALL AGES show. The doors are at 8 PM.
- Gabriel Darling has The Incubator back in full effect at Someday Lounge. It is an open stage for you to incubate all sorts of creativity. Worth checking out. This FREE event starts at 9 PM.
- Zilla Sake has an open mic every Tuesday hosted by amazing songstress Y La Bamba. Worth Checking out. The music starts at 8:30.
- The Doug Fir is having Tilly and The Wall tap dancing through town on Tuesday. Seriously, they don't have a drummer. Instead they have a super cute lead tap dancer with two other super cute girls who sing and play instruments and will occasionally tap as well (and there is a dude playing guitar). They are on tour with fellow Omaha natives Capgun Coup. You may be asking why I am I listing this show. To that I would say that Team Love label mates and local Portland band, A Weather, is opening (officially making it a local show). The show is $12. The music starts promptly at 9 PM.
- Rotture is hosting a regular event they call "Mancampus". This time around they have Mahjong (Chicago), Alan Singley & Pants Machine, Loose Control, and Old Time Relijun. Looks like a pretty good mixed bag of bands here. All for $7. The music starts at 9 PM.
There are several shows today that have a possibility of being good. I will be the first to admit that all of the following shows feature bands whose music I do not know too well. You could call this your Wednesday Night crap shoot of shows:
- The Roseland Grill will be hosting Malbec (LA), Charmparticles, and Adrian H and the Wounds. I have never heard of Malbec, but AristeiA played with Charmparticles they were pretty good. Adrian H and the Wounds played a benefit show with Meyercord about a month back (this doesn't mean much). By going to this show, you stand to loose $8-$10. Show time is at 8 PM.
- Rotture is having a show with Pwrfl Power(Seattle) and Capillary Action(Philly) along with locals We Quit. I have read interesting things about Pwrfl Power and We Quit. I know nothing of Capillary Action. You stand to loose only $7 on this one. Show time is at 9 PM.
- Holocene is having a show featuring Gil Mantera's Party Dream (Ohio) and locals The Fast Computers and Gejius. I like Gejius and know that he puts on a fun show. I know nothing of the other two except that I once saw The Fast Computers name on the Kelly's Olympian Marque and thought to myself, "I have a fast computer". Not enough information to judge a band. So you stand to loose $7.
- Mississippi Pizza is having a show with Dr. Something & The Poppin' Fresh Love Engines (reaching new highs of ridiculous band names) and The Ocean Floor. I feel like I have been meaning to see The Ocean Floor for some time. Anyway, as with most early Mississippi Show it is FREE, ALL AGES and at 6 PM. Not a whole lot to loose.
Dr. Something & The Poppin' Fresh Love Engines playing while dressed as Dr. Teeth and The Electric Mayhem @ the Rererato photo taken directly from their myspace page
They play @ Mississippi Pizza on Wednesday