OMSI AFTER DARK DEMANDS HIPSTERS
|This is who I think of when someone mentions "DIY". What does that say about me?|
OMSI After Dark Offers Music and Science for 21+ Crowd
Join us in August for “Chic Geeks: Fashion, Music, and the Science of Style “
In Concert: Lost Lander, Voted One of the Top Three Best New Bands
Wednesday, Aug. 29
7 to 11 p.m.; concerts will be at 9 p.m. and 10 p.m.
Local bands have been the newest summer feature of the popular adult event OMSI After Dark, known for kid-free, brain-building science fun for the 21+ crowd!
August Local Bands in Concert:
Lost Lander, voted #3 in the Willamette Week best new band poll, and Blue Skies for Black Hearts
August Science Theme: “Chic Geeks: Fashion, Music, and the Science of Style “
Is Style “art” or “science?” It can be both! Come flaunt your thick-framed glasses and peg-legged hipster jeans! Check out the future of fashion with local designers and go old-school with music on the Gameboy with chiptunes.
Fashion Forward Gets a Whole New Meaning with Interactive Demos and Activities:
* Duct Tape Wallets: Is there anything duct tape can't do? Come make one of these practical and oh-so-stylish accessories.
* Gimme Distortion!: Ever wonder how a guitar pedal gives you that fuzzed out sound? Play some instruments, crank up the distortion and discover the secret!
* Paper Plate Speaker: Though they probably won't replace your home entertainment system, these little speakers can pack a punch, not to mention teach you something about electromagnets and sound while you build them.
* Oobleck Monster: See what curious forms a sub woofer can coax from Oobleck - the non-Newtonian fluid!
* What's the Frequency?: Do you know the range of frequencies the average human can hear? Test your ears and find out how they stack up.
* ChipTunes Music Show: Did you know that the Game Boy relegated to your closet is a versatile musical instrument? Have you ever considered replacing your flaky bass player with a Commodore 64? Watch local musicians repurpose obsolete video game and computer hardware to rock the Planetarium Hall.
Paul Mitchell the School, Portland: Get all glammed up and go strut your stuff!
OMSI, inside and out!
Regular tickets will be $15 and include OMSI After Dark and the concert
$9 for OMSI members
FREE for OMSI After Dark members
Visit http://www.omsi.edu/afterdark to learn more about the current exhibitions on display, local artisans and services featured at the event, and the evening’s themed food and drink menu.
Chiptunes? DIY speakers? Hells yeah!
GEOFF BYRD'S "YELLOWJACKET" KICKSTARTER
|Yes, that's Geoff with his good buddies Hall & Oates. Really.|
JENNY JENKINS, SNATCHED FROM THE JAWS OF MOTHERHOOD
|Not pictured- a baby.|