Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Tuesday June 28th

Hello Dear Readers,

I liked blogging so much yesterday that I decided to try it out again. I didn't make it out last night, but I figured maybe some of you did? Did you? Anyway the important thing is that you people know about the shows if you want to go out and support the local music scene. Blah blah blah so on and so forth. There are a lot of shows tonight. A lot of them look good. Sigh. I kinda hate it when that happens. I want to write about all of them. I will probably just do the bare minimum, though. I will list why you should want to go to these shows. Here they are:

The Know is having a show with Nucular Aminals, The Hooded Hags, and The Shivas. Nucular Amninals are a great band. They just put out their record on the legendary K Records. Plus it is a band members birthday. Plus this is their tour kick off to support their new self titled album (they have an old self titled album out there). The Hooded Hags has members of Cat Fancy!, Hornet Leg, and Big Black Cloud. If you are hip to these bands you probably know more about this band than I do. I know that I have written about all of those bands but haven't seen any of them. The Shivas play music that sounds like pop on some drugs that slow everything down a bit (perhaps with a few tracers). The show is at 8 PM.

Doug Fir is having a show with Hunx & His Punx (San Francisco), Shannon & The Clams (Oakland), and Guantanamo Baywatch. Hunx & His Pun are a band that are on Hardly Art, a label that I am generally very pleased with. They are also a band that I have read a lot of hype about. To be truthful the majority of the hype that I have read has been from The Mercury. Look at this. I think that the Hardly Art website has a much better description than I could come up with regarding Hunx and Co., "Hunx and His Punx might be the first ever "girl group" fronted by a flamboyant gay male whose dream in life is to sound like a girl. They have created a unique new sound they refer to as "Young Oldies," a mixture of 50s teenage rock ‘n’ roll, 60s girl groups and bubblegum pop." It is very fitting that Shannon & The Clams are opening since their frontwoman Shannon Shaw is one of the Punx. She makes equally as good very poppy garage music. I love them both. Guantanamo Baywatch do an excellent take on surf pop. I have read about them a lot. Check them out! The show is $10 and starts at 9 PM.

Bunk Bar is having a show with Kelly Blair Bauman and Old Light. I like Kelly's music. It is shimmery. It jangles. It is Americana. It deserves an audience. You could be that audience! He is playing with Old Light, a band that could show you a thing or two on how to rock out with your autoharp out. They also have some solid harmonies. The show is FREE and starts at 10 PM.

Ella Street is having a show with Amos Val, Man Your Horse (Vancouver, Canada), and The Harvey Girls. I really enjoy Amos Val. If you were ever a fan of instrumental post-rock. Then you are familiar with some of the sounds that this band creates. It is well made in a genre that is easy to make sound real crappy. It is slow building and epic. It will tug at your heart strings. Man Your Horse is a fun math rock band. I think that they are part of the party math rock band genre. Is that a genre? It should be. The Harvey Girls make off kilter pop music. It is hard to describe. But CIMTB founder, Goldie loves them. She does not love a lot of bands. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Valentine's is having a show with Tunnels, The Crow, and Grouper. Tunnels make experimental minimal neo-electro music. Or is it dark wave? I may be getting my genres mixed. Someone help me out here. Also I don't know anything about The Crow. But Grouper I do know. I really like the folk-ish reverb drenched waves of music that Liz Harris creates. It is always a treat to see her play. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "hi". That would be very nice.

Ben

Amos val - Seascape For A Man from Michael Guzman on Vimeo.


Amos Val is playing at Ella Street tonight

No comments: