Thursday, November 4, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Thursday, November 4th

Hello Dear Readers,

I am a bit...under the weather. My room is currently a wasteland of disgusting used Kleenex. I have been blowing my nose all night. My head feels funny in a bad way. I did not go to any shows last night because of my running faucet nose. I probably won't go to a show tonight because I want to get better health wise by "taking it easy". But you guys should go to shows. Shows like these:

Crave Dog Warehouse is having a show with Pony Village and Evan Way. It might just be Ryan Barber Solo. I hear that these first Thursday shows are generally scaled back. Evan Way is one of the guys from Parson Red Heads. Both Evan and Ryan played last night and therefore should be all warmed up and ready to do excellent sets. I love Pony Village and their dependable indie rock stylings. In a genre that is so easy to suck, Pony Village does not. Evan Way to my knowlege has not played out under his own name too often. It should be a good time to catch him in this form. The show is FREE and starts at 6 PM.

Tender Loving Empire is having a First Thursday event too. They have Super XX Man playing a show. There will be artwork by Nando Costa. I have enjoyed the music of Super XX Man for years. The other day I was watching OPB and they had a segment all about him. It was awesome. you can watch it here. His songs are at once catchy and great. He is one of the greats of the ever expanding Tender Loving Empire. Did you hear they just signed Loch Lomond? Cause they did. The show will have FREE adult beverages and will itself be FREE and start at 6:30 PM.

The Woods is having a show with Alan Singley & Pants Machine,Larry Yes, and Pony Express. Alan Singley was one of the first Portland Acts that I familiarized myself with after moving here. He is a bit of an eccentric, but most musical greats are. You should see the ridiculously solid band he has cooked up. Pop at it's finest. Larry Yes is a name that I have seen around for years but have never seen myself despite hearing very positive things about him. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

Kenton Club is having a show with Dramady and Rollerball. There will be art rock at this show. Dramady has a member of Rollerball. Rollerball has a member of Dramady. It is the same person, Amanda Mason Wiles. Dramady is a two piece. Rollerball is twice that at four people. Many instruments will be played. The two bands will be doing a small Pacific NW tour together. They will hit Seattle, Bellingham, and Astoria. Cool deal. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Holocene is having a show with Brainstorm, Arrington de Dionyso's Malaikat dan Singa, and O Bruxo. Brainstorm is releasing a 7" tonight! I love vinyl. It makes music so tangable. Brainstorm is one of the freshest bands in Portland right now. They mix everything up and have one of those whatchamacallits...a singing drummer. They are an impressive two piece that make pop music that is pretty progressive but not proggy. Arrington de Dionyso has always struck me as a kind of weirdo. He is good at what he does though. I have not seen O Bruxo, but they have gotten a lot of good word of mouth. I would say that this is an exciting show. The show is $5 and starts at 8:30 PM.

Doug Fir is having a show with Salesman (Austin), Quiet Life, and Yards. I am writing about this show from the perspective of a Quiet Life fan. They make music that is Country leaning and folk feeling. I mix of Americana and old time shuffles. I want to see it. I have not before (I am a terrible fan). Yards looks to be very interesting too though. It features members of Southerly and involves film sound tracking. I like that sort of thing. I remember seeing Metal play a show at Berbati's several years ago to a film. It made an impact on me. So does Billygoat. I think that mixing medias is a great idea. The show is $8 and starts at 9 PM.

Rotture is having a show with Gravid Wives , Moomaw, and The Sarcastic Dharma Society. I love The Sarcastic Dharma Society. And so should you. The two piece play the songs that perpetual sad sack Mat Vuksinich writes so well. He is one of my favorite song writers. He is backed by Padriac Finbar Haggerty-Hammond in a really unique set up of one person playing guitar and vocals while the other holds down drums, rhodes and glockenspiel. I love it. Also it should be noted that I played a show with The Sarchastic Dharma Society at Rotture years ago when Y La Bamba had to cancel due to sickness. This was back when Y La Bamba was a solo. Meyercord was solo. And The Sarcastic Dharma Society was solo (and underage). Sigh. Things have changed for the better. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

The Knife Shop is having a show with Woodwinds, Glass Teeth, and Autopilot is for Lovers. I am friends with all of these ladies. Woodwinds is the project fronted by Megan of Jared Mees and The Grown Children. Glass Teeth is the project of Nora from Typhoon. Both have not played shows in a long long time due to their commitment to their other bands. This show is rare. And we all know Autopilot is For Lovers. I think that it is currently an ambitious solo affair. Also it is rumored that Adriane of Autopilot will be selling some jelewry. The show is $4 and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows, it would be a miracle. But if you do, please say "Hi".

-Ben



See Pony Village at an early show at Crave Dog warehouse in Old Town.

No comments: