Thursday, October 14, 2010

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Thursday, October 14th

Hello Dear Readers,

Okay, I need to be honest. Lately I have not been motivated to see shows. I think the change of weather has gotten to me. I need to buck up. I need to see live music. Yesterday I was going to go out to something but then ended up not. Also I heard that I did not notice that there was some sort of music that the Hawthorne Food Carts (the rumor was that World's Greatest Ghost played). Instead I did something that I have not done in a long time. I listened to records and read a book. It felt great. But seeing shows is great too. Here are some that look good to me:

Music Millennium is having an in-store with Ascetic Junkies. I have been meaning to see them for quite a long time. I remember Sam Cooper telling me to check them out way back when he was part of Jared Mees & The Grown Children. They have very blank songs. They used to have the genre bluegrass attached to them. But their myspace currently states that they are "not a folk/bluegrass band". And honestly I just listened to them again and they are right. They are more interesting than that. Their songs are really catchy and filled with cool parts. If anything they are a pop band. If you can't make it to this show, you can them tomorrow at Doug Fir Lounge with the previously mention Jared Mees and company. This ALL AGES show is FREE and starts at 6 PM.

Tonic Lounge is having a show with Kelli Schaefer, The Orchestrion, and Johanna. Basically I think that Kelli Schaefer is amazing. Her songs are great. Her voice is great. The people she records with sound great. She should be huge. The show is at 9 PM.

Doug Fir is having a show with Lovers, Third Sex, and Kusikia. Lovers are great. I have not seen them yet, but I can get down with their electro-pop stylings. This is the album release for their latest Dark Light. Their album was great and I loved it. I have not listened to this one all the way through, but I look forward to doing so. Also Kusikia is one of the best bands in Portland. If you have not seen them, you should rectify that tonight. The two piece is drums a guitar and an amazing voice. I really can't describe it but it gives me chills to see it live. You can download Kusikia's album for free here. The show is $7 and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". Or some sort of greeting

-Ben

Kusikia play at Doug Fir tonight!

No comments: