Monday, July 21, 2008

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for July 21st to July 24th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last week I played four shows. One with each band and then another one. So, I didn't actually see any shows that I did not play. But wanted to say how much fun I had at Doug Fir on Thursday for the Y La Bamba (I play bass and sing in this band, but I was a fan before that) and Nicoluminous show. Nicoluminous, a hip-hop outfit, had a full band which included two beatboxers (Nico and Fogatron), a drummer, a percussionist, bass, guitar, piano/organ, and two horn players (9 members). They were real good (and real tight). They knew exactly how to entertain people. It all culminated for me when Luzelena (lead singer/sonwriter of Y La Bamba) joined the band to sing on a number. It was incredible. But this week will be incredible as well. Check ou twhat we have going on in our town.

Monday, July 21st

I got a couple o' shows for you.

  • Valentine's is having a show comprised of maymay, Mike Elias, and Kele Goodwin. This will be a calm folked out affair. If you like Nick Drake, I would come to this. If you are a fan of acoustic Will Oldham, come on down. If you like female folk, come check out maymay. The show is FREE. The music starts sometime after 9 PM.
  • The White Eagle is having a show with Dr. Something and the Poppin' Fresh Love Engines and The Turn Ups. Dr. Something etc...is a band that play quirky music about about quirky things. Like robots (seriously, check out her myspace page and you will find two songs about robots). They play acoustic, but acoustic like a guitar, mandolin, accordion, bass, violins, banjos and drums. Everyone in the band plays many instruments so they switch it up a bit. This The Turn Ups (get it? its a vegetable and can reference volume.) play rockabilly and newwave pop(Rockabilly New Veux?). This will be a fun and FREE show. The music starts at 8:30 PM.

Tuesday, July 22nd

I got a couple more shows for you.

  • Looks like Dekum Manor is having a kickass house show with The Shaky Hands, World's Greatest Ghosts, The Vonneguts, and Here comes a Big Black Cloud. I am not familiar with the Voneguts (I know the name, but not the music), but I totally down to see the rest of them. Rock and Roll PDX style. I could find no listed cover for this show, but I would bring some extra cash, just in case. This ALL AGES shows starts pretty early at 7 PM.
  • Valentine's is having a show with Bow Ribbons (Brooklyn), Dragging An Ox Through Water, and Garland Ray Project. I know I've said it before, but I love Dragging An Ox Through Water. This looks like it will be an artful experimental music night. There is no official cover tonight, but the traveling band will gladly accept your donations. The music starts sometime after 9 PM.

Wednesday, July 23rd

There are some good shows for Wednesday. Check 'em out.

  • Doug Fir is having A Hawk & Handsaw (Budapest?), Shearwater (Austin), and Benjamin Wetherill (Leeds, UK), play along locals Tu Fawning. I have yet to see Tu Fawing who is comprised of Joe Hage of 31 Knots and Corrina Repp and two other people, but I might just wait because they are playing PDX Pop Now! this weekend. I have heard good things about Shearwater. I also heard some not so good things. You be the judge. A Hawk & Handsaw, however is very interesteing indeed. They play balkan influenced music often several instruments at once if I am not mistaken. The show is $12 and starts at 9 PM.
  • The Holocene is also having a Holocene presents show at Backspace. This one features Grand Ole Party, Hockey, and Sothern Belle. Grand Ole Party is said to be funky. I know that Hockey has some funk to their step. Check out their song "too fake for the world". It just maybe the song of the summer (according to Brandon Gordon of AristeiA). Southern Belle make jittery pop that can only be made by the young. So come check out this ALL AGES show. There is a cover of $8, but it will totally be worth it. The show starts at 9 PM (doors are at 8:30PM).
  • The Know is having a show with Stiffwiff. Stiffwiff is a super group thats members include those of Carcrashlander and Graves and many others. They have signed with Arena Rock Recording Company and should eventually release something. This show will most likely be FREE. So check it out if you like what you hear. The doors are at 8 PM.

Thursday

I only found one show that I was interested in.

  • Hotel Deluxe is having Love Menu play. I think it is an actual hotel. I couldn't find any details on the show. But if you like well arranged folk pop (I do), then you might want to check it out. You can also see them later at PDX Pop Now. There is a $7 cover. The show starts at 7 PM (early show).

So that is it for now. But get ready for this weekend. There will be a ton of bands playing at the ALL AGES ALL FREE ALL LOCAL PDX Pop Now! 2008 festival. If you see me at any of these shows, come and say "Hi".

-Ben


Love Menu play Hotel Deluxe on Thursday. Nice.

No comments: